In order to properly feed the fish, stock up on knowledge and experience. Food plays an important role in the lives of pets, greatly influencing the state of the aquarium.
How to feed
The main mistake of novice aquarists is overfeeding. Excess food in an aquarium leads to a number of consequences:
- water deterioration;
- death from overeating or poisoning.
The norm is considered if the food is eaten before reaching the bottom. Remove excess food with a net or siphon immediately after feeding. The size of the grains should match the appearance and age of the fish. Large adult inhabitants eat large pieces. Juveniles. living dust or food particles, not exceeding the size of the eye fry.
During the spawning period, give less food. Two weeks before the breeding of future parents feed protein foods.
How much to give
The calculation of the feed is based on the weight of the pet: not more than 5% of the total weight. The universal rule: food should be eaten in 3-5 minutes without a residue.
How many times
Adult healthy fish in the aquarium should be fed 1-2 times per day. Morning feeding is carried out 15 minutes after turning on the light, the evening. 3 hours before bedtime.
Growing fish is often fed: up to one month of age, 6 times a day, and then transferred to four meals a day. A month later, the frequency is reduced. Somik with other benthic fish are fed in the dark when the aquarium population is sleeping.
In conditions of an artificially created habitat, fish are less mobile, since they are not forced to get food for survival. Therefore, properly feed aquarium fish six times a week.
A mini hunger strike once a week allows you to:
- prevent obesity;
- cleanse the body;
- increase sexual activity;
- activate recovery processes.
More often hunger strikes predators because of the structural features of the food system. For the following fish, instead of a hunger strike, it is better to choose a fasting day on food with spirulina:
Before feeding, the aquarist must wash his hands thoroughly. The remains of soap or cream are disastrous. You can not give spices and spicy vegetable food, sour vegetables. When selecting a diet, fish features are taken into account:
Herbivorous animals with a long digestive system often need to be fed in small portions.
The correct diet contains:
The lack of fiber is compensated by eating aquarium plants.
The basis of the diet carnivores. live food. Predators eat rarely, but in large quantities.
- Proteins required from 45%.
- Fat. 3–6%.
- Fiber is also important. Under natural conditions, they consume plant food in the amount of 2–4%.
Most aquarium fish are omnivorous, in their diet should be:
Feeding the fish produced according to the method of feeding. A big role is played by the location of the mouth:
- Upper. For pets whose mouth is located on top, suitable for floating on the surface of food in the form of chips or flakes.
- Average. The inhabitants of the middle layers of water eat the food that is located directly in front of them.
- Bottom. Catfish who collect food from the bottom need heavy sinking feed.
What should receive
For good growth, normal development and strong immunity of a pet, the following nutrients and trace elements are necessary:
- vitamins of group B and D3, A, E, C;
- folic acid;
The main types of feed
- Dry. Dried larvae of krill, daphnia, cyclops. Sold in the form of tablets, granules and flakes. Used if there is no time for the preparation of plant or live food. In humans, dried food can cause allergies.
- Alive. Infusoria, bloodworm, small fishes, brine shrimp, tubemaker and coretra. Such food is stored in the refrigerator, as it quickly deteriorates. Very nutritious. Rinse thoroughly before feeding.
- Protein. Egg, invertebrate meat, liver and squids are crushed, used in the form of small chips. Minced warm-blooded animals rarely served. It is poorly absorbed by fish, developing pathogenic intestinal microflora. Frozen. Live food in frozen form. Served thawed.
- Vegetable. It happens natural (cucumbers, cabbage, peas, carrots, zucchini, nettle, dandelions), as well as branded. Natural food is boiled, peeled and cut into pieces. Purchased granules with spirulina also needed fish.
- Corporate. Balanced feed. For feeding omnivorous fish is the main food. To diversify the diet, you can feed herbal and living supplements. There are universal and feed for a specific type of aquarium inhabitants.
Feed your fish by combining several types of food. Omnivorous and herbivorous species should receive plant fiber daily.
It is preferable to give frozen food. The ability to infect an aquarium is minimized. The freezing is easily dosed, does not spoil, keeps flavoring and useful properties. Mixtures of several types of worms are on sale, due to which the feed becomes more nutritious.
If you leave the aquarium unattended for a couple of weeks, then use special food and automatic feeders with dispenser. Briquette and capsule feed slowly dissolve in water, providing food for a long time. If feeding fish during an absence is trusted by friends, tell them about how to care for aquarium inhabitants. You can pack food in equal parts to eliminate the risk of overfeeding and give necessary advice.
With proper feeding, the fish are protected from disease. Healthy fishes live longer, differ in a bright color and mobility.