The problem of the mass death of fish in an aquarium is faced by both beginners and professional breeders. Ornamental fish are mostly picky and do not require special care. But there are basic rules of detention, failure to comply with which leads to deterioration of living conditions and death of pets.
When fish die in an aquarium, you need to notice and stop this process in time so as not to lose all individuals.
With a sharp change in environmental conditions, the pet does not have time to adapt and is shocked, the consequences of which are often sudden death. Even if the fish survives, the defenses of her body will weaken due to the stress she has suffered, she will become sick and wither.
When the proportion of aquarium water in the tank is 80%, the fish without fear can be moved to a permanent place of residence.
Dirty water in the aquarium. the cause of poisoning
The most common cause of death of the fish. poisoning with nitrogen compounds.
In the process of life, pets produce organic waste, the mass of which per day can be up to one third the weight of the fish itself. Sinking on the walls and the filler, the waste is decomposed with the release of toxic nitrogen compounds. ammonia, ammonium, nitrite and nitrate. As a result of pollution, the water in the aquarium swamps, grows turbid, becomes covered with a thin airtight film, gets the smell of rot.
In such stressful conditions, the fish die. Their bodies, huddled under the filter or entangled in the vegetation, decompose along with excess food and increase the degree of environmental pollution.
The situation is saved by a properly selected and properly functioning filter: the device cleans the water from the waste products of pets, neutralizes toxins in its composition.
If the fish die for no apparent reason, the problem may be oxygen deficiency, which is caused by:
- 1. Overpopulation. With a dense landing of fish dissolved in water, oxygen is not enough for respiration of each individual, as a result, pets die.
- 2. Increased temperature. Ornamental fish are sensitive to minor temperature changes, so a sharp warming (even 1-2 degrees) will in itself be a stressful situation. In addition, in warm water the oxygen content decreases.
- 3. Equipment malfunction. If the devices for filtering and aeration work incorrectly, gas exchange between the aquatic environment of the aquarium and the atmosphere is disturbed. It is important to monitor not only the serviceability of the equipment, but also its proper placement in the tank. Air injection by the compressor should be carried out at the surface. A jet of bubbles passing through the water surface helps to crush a possible plaque or film that prevents the penetration of oxygen into the water.
- 4. Shortage of living vegetation. The ratio of algae and aquarium inhabitants should be directly proportional. the more fish, the more photosynthesizing scenery they need. An excess of greenery is undesirable: an abundance of algae in a reservoir with 2-3 individuals leads to a glut of oxygen and death from hyperventilation.
- 5. The conditions of darkness. Without sunlight, aquarium vegetation does not produce oxygen, but absorbs it, taking away a large proportion of the vital gas from the fish.
Proper equipment of the aquarium and its correct settlement will help prevent the pain and mass extinction of pets.
Another reason for the sudden death of fish. interspecific struggle. Fish of different breeds do not always get along with each other. In the fight for food and territory, representatives of one species may show aggression towards individuals of another, injuring or slaughtering them to death.
Offenders of small fish are not only predators, but also large herbivores. Large slow-moving fish are attacked by smaller and more agile.
In order to avoid conflicts between the inhabitants of the aquarium should read the special literature and find out which species of fish get along with each other best. Before buying a new pet, it is important to find out about its compatibility with existing ones.
Some information on species compatibility is presented in the table.