The Betta Fish is one of the popular inhabitants of artificial reservoirs. Aquarists appreciate it for its unpretentious and bright color, but along with a large number of advantages, the fish has one drawback. a snooty character. For pugnacity and frequent conflicts a small underwater inhabitant received the nickname “fighting fish”. Such an ambiguous characteristic makes the owners think about who Betta Fish gets along in the same tank, and how to avoid quarrels and fights between the inhabitants of the home pond.
Character Betta Fish
Betta Fish. popular aquarium fish from the Macropod family. The scientific name of the fish. Betta Splendes (Betta Splendens). Their character is not easy. Betta Fish fights with other fish can often be seen in a joint aquarium, for which Bettu was called “fighting”.
Homeland Betta Fish. Thailand, where the fish live in small ponds with water temperatures from 21C to 27C. Remarkably, the phenotype is hostile not only with other specimens, but also with representatives of its own kind. Fights are violent and fierce, sometimes the fight ends with the death of one of the males. Individuals of the female are also able to fight, but they are more lenient and friendlier to each other, therefore the females are often kept in one tank of 3-5 pieces.
When competing with other fish, Betta Fish changes color saturation and the fins and tail bloom, revealing Betta in all its glory. Aquarists, knowing about this particular phenotype, specifically keep two males in one reservoir, divided into two compartments by a transparent wall. In Thailand, they even conduct deliberately provoked battles between two individuals, gathering spectators and betting on victory. It should be noted that in such battles Betta Fish do not die, but only get rid of damaged fins.
Betty fight not only with relatives, but also with other phenotypes. The very name of the fish reminds of the temperate nature of birds of the same name. Despite the beauty and unpretentiousness, keeping Betta Fish in the general aquarium can be difficult for aquarists, especially for beginners.
Despite the fact that Betta gets along poorly with other residents, this does not mean that the fish must live all their lives alone. Proper selection of neighbors in the aquarium, space, grottoes and thick flora will help to create a small underwater world where all the inhabitants will coexist peacefully. To organize such harmony, you should first of all know the general rules of content and compatibility of Betta Fish with other fish.
General rules for keeping Betta Fish in an aquarium
Despite Betta Fish’s pugnacious temper, the likelihood of his peaceful neighborhood with other phenotypes is there. In order to increase the chances of harmony and tranquility in an aquarium, you should follow the rules for keeping Bette in the general body of water:
- Betta Fish. a little daffodils by nature, so in the same tank with them do not place bright and colorful individuals. This will entail fights and fights, as the fighting fish will immediately rush to protect the territory and the female.
- Betta Fish can not be hooked to other fish prone to quarrels and battles. Such a neighborhood can end with the death of one of the inhabitants of the reservoir.
- Goldfish are not suitable for keeping with Betta because they like cool water, in which the color of Betta Fish fades and fades.
- Even when settling a fighting fish with those species with which they are compatible, at first the inhabitants are closely watched for the behavior of the inhabitants in order to exclude fights and quarrels.
- Betta can not live peacefully with the fish, whose size is less than 5 cm.
- Spacious and large artificial reservoir will reduce the number of battles and battles. For each representative of the species, the volume rate is 5 liters of water, and the reservoir itself must contain at least 50 liters of liquid.
- Experienced aquarists say that Betta’s snooty temper can be pacified if you get other phenotypes attached to Betta Fish at an early age.
- Despite considerable experience in fights, the neighborhood with large and predatory fish can result in the death or serious injuries of Betta, so they avoid it in every way.
- Due to the natural aggressiveness of Betta Fish, two males should not be placed in the general reservoir. they will necessarily fight, and the duel will end in disrepair. But a few females and one male representative aquarists quietly kept in the same tank, without fear of struggle and rivalry.
Betta Fish compatibility with other fish
Betta Fish in the general aquarium does not get along with all kinds of fish. it openly conflicts with someone, but it may even eat someone for lunch. In order not to risk the health of pets, before settling Betta in the pond, you should find out what phenotypes can exist with the fighting species.
Fish Betta Fish. compatible with other fish:
- Soma are ideal for content with Betta Fish. Both corridas and antsistrusy are calm and peaceful people who are not prone to conflicts and fights, and Betta Fish will be impressed by the size of its neighbors (10 cm), so they are unlikely to attack catfish. The presence of vegetation and shelters is welcome. this will reduce the percentage of battles between species to zero. Similar conditions of detention and accommodation in different water layers make som the best choice for settling with Betta.
- Together with Betta Fish in the aquarium contain botsy (from 4 individuals and more). The scenery, dense vegetation and grottoes help keep the fish “in check”, and contribute to peace and harmony in the aquatic environment.
- Betta Fish and guppies are not the best option for settling in one tank. Juicy color of color and lush fins of the neighbor will certainly inflame in Betta a spirit of rivalry that will end with injuries for guppies. Although there are examples of a successful combination of guppies and Betta Fish in aquariums, few will venture to test the compatibility of species in practice, and the conditions of housing for phenotypes are different.
- Gourami, although a close relative of Betta Fish, does not always get along peacefully with them. Similar traits of both kinds will cause conflict and competition. Experienced aquarists recommend placing gourami and Betta Fish only if there is a very spacious reservoir.
- Molliesia, due to its modest color and behavior, does not make Betta want to compete. However, only adult mollies of the same age with fighting fish can be settled in the general aquarium, because the Betta Fish fry will certainly eat.
- Scalaries, despite their peace-loving character, become aggressive during spawning and attack Betta Fish, which reciprocate. Contain these species can only be in a very large tank with many shelters and caves.
- Danio is not perceived by Betta Fish as an opponent, so they get along peacefully with each other in a spacious pond.
Also, a novice aquarist needs to know about Betta’s compatibility with plants and crustaceans. Greens are chosen with delicate leaves that are not able to damage the lush fins of Betta Fish. There is no need to worry about the preservation of the flora. the fighting fish do not eat plants.
The shrimp in the aquarium can be hooked up, but it will live a little. Betta Fish will remember its predatory nature, and will eat the neighbor without a twinge of conscience. The same outcome awaits the little snails. Betty skillfully extract the inhabitants from the sink. Exceptions are large-sized snails. their Betta Fish are intact.
Peaceful cohabitation is impossible under any conditions with the following phenotypes:
- black-striped cychlasma;
By following the general rules for keeping Betta Fish, and remembering their compatibility with other species, you can create peace and harmony in an artificial lake without risking the health of your pet. A good choice of neighbors will increase the life of the fish, and they will be able to please the owner with a unique color and lush fins for a long time.