What kind of fish don’t need air?
What fish can live without oxygen? In fact, these fish do not exist. Like any living creature, they need a constant flow of liquefied or atmospheric O2. Usually fish breathe with the help of gills, which in each species of fish differ in size and shape. Gill slits are located on the sides, there are 4-5 pairs. The water that passes through the gill petals, gives up dissolved oxygen, and carries away the released CO2, then oxygen enters all parts of the fish’s body. Another thing, if we are talking about oxygen from water or the atmosphere.
When the fish are sick and sitting in quarantine, drugs can save them from the disease. However, instead of adding drugs, it is often necessary to raise the temperature of the water so that the fish become healthy. This applies to heat-loving tropical species, which become lethargic and weak due to the decrease in temperature in the reservoir. As a rule, when adding drugs, they increase aeration, since substances block oxygen supply to water. Therefore, the presence of a good filter is an additional help that will help the exchange of oxygen around the water perimeter.
Increased temperature also limits the flow of oxygen into the water, so aeration should be enhanced. This is important for cold-loving fish and amphibians that need oxygen. Powerful aeration and lowering the temperature of the water in the aquarium to the permissible rate will quickly eliminate the problem.
If the filter does not mix all layers of water, then it must be adjusted so that it has more turbulence. In this case, you can add an aerator. The so-called internal filters are located on the back wall of the aquarium, have strong power, pushing oxygen into the water. But canister aquarium filters need to be configured so that water is pumped and mixed on the surface. Bottom filters do not saturate water with oxygen, so the pump is attached to them. Spongy dry and wet aqua filters well saturate the water with oxygen, mixing the water, and therefore more acceptable.
Watch a video about aquarium sprayers.
What to do if you have to transport the fish over a long distance?
Signs that determine that fish need more oxygen
If the fish often begin to take air from the surface of the water, even those that spend most of their lives in the lower layers of the aquarium, this is an alarming signal. They really need oxygen dissolved in water. What measures to take in this case? First, measure the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If the amount of harmful contaminants is increased, replace 40-50% of the water with clean, fresh and acceptable parameters. Do not pour out all the water, it is detrimental to the lives of pets. If indicators of ammonia and nitrates, nitrites are normal, then increase the aeration and add air stones to the water.
The main objective of this method is:
- Provide water with air so that all inhabitants of the artificial lake should develop and live properly.
- Create moderate vortex flows and mix water. This will result in efficient absorption of oxygen, removal of carbon dioxide and the elimination of harmful gases.
- If a heating device is used together with aeration, then there will be no sharp temperature drops.
- To form a current without which some species of fish cannot exist.
Aeration in the aquarium and everything you need to know about it.
Fish breathe oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, which plants consume during the day of photosynthesis, releasing oxygen. Plants play a major role in maintaining the required amount of oxygen. Different plants supply different amounts of oxygen. If the ratio of plants and fish in the aquarium is chosen correctly, then both gases are sufficient for them, and they feel great. If there are few plants and many fish, then the latter lack oxygen, in which case the aquarist resorts to aeration. In addition, aeration is needed in nursery aquariums, when large quantities of fish are contained in a relatively small volume.
Aeration performs the following tasks:
- Saturates water with oxygen.
- Creates a circulation of water in the aquarium.
- It equalizes the temperature in the whole aquarium.
- Destroys the bacterial and dust film formed on the surface of the water.
- Simulates the necessary environmental conditions, such as flow. These conditions are necessary for some species of fish.
But if you have a lot of plants in the aquarium, you can not use aeration. aeration is used to remove excess carbon dioxide. Our industry produces various types of micro compressors powered by AC power. The drive in them is an electromagnet, which informs the lever connected to the rubber membrane, 50 reciprocating movements per second. They provide performance up to 100 liters per hour.
When you turn off the pump, water can rise through the hose and, if the pump is installed below the water level in the aquarium, then, according to the principle of communicating vessels, it enters the pump and spills onto the floor of the room. Vibro compressors need additional inventory. this is a hose and sprayer suction cups, and clamps to adjust the air supply.
Foreign companies produce various air pumps with a capacity of 1 to 100 liters per minute. But do not choose too powerful compressor for your aquarium, because it can cause stress to the fish. What volume of aquarium is one or another compressor usually indicated on the package. For example, the FAT-mini filter aerator is designed for an aquarium of 30-60 liters, no less than no more. This filter aerator is the weakest of the FAT series, but its performance is from 50 to 250 l / h.
Many models are equipped with a built-in filter. Such compressors are very convenient. The air in these compressors is mixed with a water jet directed back to the aquarium, this creates additional ventilation. They are installed directly in the aquarium. Filtering materials from such filters are quickly contaminated and they need to rinse the filtering agent once a week.
Factors affecting the oxygen content in water
- Temperature. Water temperature affects the oxygen content in water: the warmer the water, the less oxygen it contains, and vice versa. In addition, the increased temperature accelerates the metabolic processes in fish, with the result that their oxygen demand rises precisely at a time when its content in water decreases. This problem can be overcome by more intensive aeration.
- Plants. Plants are often appreciated for their ability to produce oxygen. However, it should be remembered that at night they themselves consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. Thus, although plants can really help to meet the oxygen requirements of fish during the daytime, at night, all living things in an aquarium compete for oxygen, the content of which at this time of day is decreasing. Therefore, in aquariums, densely planted with plants, at night there may be a lack of oxygen.
- Snails and other creatures. A large population of snails can have a significant effect on the oxygen content of an aquarium. Bacteria can do the same. Oxygen consumption by aerobic bacteria involved in the nitrogen cycle is permissible because, instead, they bring significant benefits. However, if an excess of organic waste is observed in an aquarium (for example, due to regular overfeeding of fish), the bacteria population will grow and absorb more oxygen than when rationally fed fish. Snails, of course, also increase the content of organic waste.
The value of aquarium water aeration, which is carried out with the help of special compressors blowing air from the nozzles through it, consists not only in the saturation of water with oxygen. Aeration, among other things, causes the mixing of water layers with air bubbles, helps to equalize the temperature in the aquarium at all levels, and especially if the water is artificially heated, eliminates sudden changes in water temperature, both horizontally and vertically.
In addition, the circulation of water created by a powerful stream of air simulates certain environmental conditions that are necessary for different types of aquarium fish. Aeration of aquarium water contributes to an increase in soil flowability, provides the necessary conditions for the normal functioning of soil bacteria, which prevents the accumulation and decay of organic residues and thereby the formation of gases such as ammonia, methane and hydrogen sulfide harmful to fish.
How can oxygen be supplied to water
What should be the dose of oxygen in the aquarium water?
If there is not enough dissolved oxygen in the water layer, oxygen starvation can begin, which can be established according to the condition of the fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium. Fish swim up to the surface of the water, capture water, and make “chewing” movements with the jaw. Later they will more often swim up to the surface, and quickly swallowing atmospheric air with their mouths. This is already a critical situation, in order to avoid which it is necessary to take such measures:
- Do not make a lot of fish in your home;
- Provide an optimal ratio of the number of fish and plants;
- Use common water aeration devices.
Unfortunately, the fish are not insured from oxygen overload, which is also dangerous for their health and life. O oversupply2 can provoke a gas embolus of fish when air bubbles form in their blood. The first symptoms are reddening of the eyes, bulging scales, excessive anxiety. Reduce the release of air into the water, or instead of 2 compressors, install one.
Normal amount is O2 in water. 5 mg per 1 liter. Measure its level get special tests and devices that are on sale. Balance the amount of O2 possible by replacing water in small quantities, controlling the state and number of fish, plants, regulating the flow of air from the compressor. Water is not saturated with oxygen due to the bubbles that the device releases in the compressor. Air mixes with water on its surface, and bubbles simply vibrate the water surface, which contributes to the improvement of this process.
Tips and secrets of aquarium aeration
A little about the excess oxygen in the aquarium
First of all, a surplus of2 no less harmful than a disadvantage. It can cause gas embolism in fish when air bubbles appear in their blood. As a result, the fish may die. Fortunately, such a phenomenon is rare. Nevertheless, you should not be zealous with aeration (for example, it is not necessary to install several compressors).
Changing water in small portions, controlling the composition of fish and the number of plants, regulating the flow of air from the compressor will help to achieve the perfect balance.
Aeration in the aquarium. the basis of biofiltration
Aeration is the movement of water flow, as a result of which it is enriched with oxygen. During this process, air from the atmosphere passes through the thickness of the water layer, separating into small bubbles, which, when interacting with water, saturate it with oxygen (O2). A large number of bubbles will provide better oxygen supply.
In the natural environment, aeration occurs simply. winds, underwater keys, plants create a current, but this is impossible in an aquarium. In a closed environment, the main supplier of2 there may be vegetation and special devices that create a stream of water with saturated oxygen. Under normal aeration, the aquarium ensures the full activity of all living organisms.
Aquarium from a can. keeping aquarium fish in a can
Aquarium from the can
conditions of fish in the bank
And who said that the first aquarium should be immediately "fildepersovy". I am sure that almost all the gurus of akriumistiki started with a small aquarium. My first aquarium was 35 liters and this did not prevent me from developing in this direction, on the contrary allowed me to taste the aquarium world and get the first experience.
Therefore, if you want to try doing aquarium fish or just don’t want to pay money for expensive aquarium and equipment, I suggest you consider creating an aquarium from a simple can. I think this article will help you navigate the process and the nuances of creating a mini-canned aquarium.
Section 1: What you need to create an aquarium from a can.
1. Can / bottle: you can use a 3 liter bottle, but I draw your attention that the larger the can, the better. I know that there are banks of 5 and 10 liters. In addition, glass decorative flowerpots are being sold now. you can adapt them.
3. Compressor: necessary for supplying oxygen to the aquarium, it is not expensive at about 6. If the aquarium can is large (from 10 liters), you can purchase a filter with aeration. this will relieve you from the routine care of the first aquarium.
4. Decor: should not be large, I think one seashell will be enough.
5. Fish and plants.
Section 2: The process of creating an aquarium from a can.
1. My jar of soda, pour boiling water, wash everything thoroughly.
2. Fall asleep ground.
3. Install the decor.
4. Fill the water.
5. Planting plants.
6. We adjust biological balance.
7. Run the fish.
Section 3: The nuances of creating an aquarium from a can, what to look for?
First, the bigger the pot the better. Try to get a can of as large a volume as possible. The larger the bank, the better the fish, the easier it will be for you to care for it.
Secondly, in no case use a plastic jar or bottle as an aquarium. Plastic poison the fish, but also it is less transparent than glass.
Third, since the filter does not fit into a small jar, you should perform its function weekly. siphon the bottom, wipe the jar with a clean sponge from the inside, and replace it with a little fresh water.
Fourth, fill and replace only the separated water.
Fifth, please note that the aquarium pot can not be put on the window sill or other sunny place. From this, the aquarium will bloom, and the fish will die.
Sixth, try to maintain the temperature required for the fish. Buy a thermometer and see that the temperature is not critical.
Section 4: Fish in the bank, which fish can you keep?
The unconditional recommendation would be a fish. Betta Fish or Betta. This very beautiful unpretentious fish that does not need aeration (compressor), as it swallows air from the surface of the water with the help of a special organ. gill labyrinth.
Guppies are lively and not capricious fish. Possess beautiful tails. I happened to see a mini aquarium with gopashkami without the slightest care (aeration, filtration, etc.). and they lived. If you create comfortable conditions for guppies, they will also bring you posterity, because they are viviparous and breed like rabbits.
Here is another series of fish that can live in aquabank: swordtails, neons, tetra, catfish speckled, mollies, danios pink.
As an epilogue: Aquarium pot. this is certainly an option for the first steps in the aquarium kingdom. But it is also indisputable that the small fish in the bank will closely and adjust the biological balance in such a vessel is also difficult. The cost of aquarium bottle will cost you a penny, in fact for nothing. But still I suggest you to think about an aquarium for 15. This aquarium will greatly facilitate the care of pets and will only please you!
Rectangular aquarium TM "Nature" 40x25x34 34lIt is a model of unity of low price and decent quality product. This is a great choice for people who love to sculpt their own dream! Volume: 34 l, Dimensions (LxWxH): 40x25x34 cm Aquarium shape: rectangular.
Water change in the aquarium, what kind of water is needed for the aquarium?
Frequently asked questions: About changing aquarium water, for example, is it possible to replace aquarium water (1/4 volume) with undisturbed tap water?
– Nothing bad can happen (one thing, but: it should be about the same temperature as in the aquarium, do not pour ice water from the tap). But still, if you are a caring owner or fish are expensive Do not be lazy to defend the water.
When changing aquarium water, always remember that old water is always better than fresh water. In many sources, they talk about the need to replace the weekly aquarium water to fresh. Personally, I disagree with that. Since the older the aquarium water, the better it is configured biological balance. I replace the aquarium water in my aquariums about once a month and I think that this is quite enough. For ten years aquarium management "complaints" from aquarium fish on this issue have been reported.
Making conclusions and summing up, I emphasize:
– Frequent change of aquarium water is not needed!
– The frequency of changing the aquarium water to fresh depends on the volume of your aquarium. The larger the aquarium, the less need to replace the aquarium water.
– The change of aquarium water can be done with undisturbed water (up to 1/5 parts). But not desirable. )))
– The clouding of aquarium water after a fresh substitution is a direct evidence of an imbalance in the aquarium. (clouding will pass by itself, in 3-5 days).
– Answering the question what kind of water is needed for an aquarium and fish? I will say, the "old" is better than the "new". If the water is green, dirty or muddy. use aquarium coal and other specials. drugs. In addition, consider the specifics of your fish. For example, discus. very picky to the conditions of detention and require frequent replacement of the new "super quality water" and high temperature.
– Carrying out a complete change of aquarium water (restarting the aquarium), pour into the container and leave at least 1/3 of the old water. Exception, disease and quarantine aquarium!
– Changing the aquarium water should follow the "cleaning of the aquarium", and not vice versa.
I recommend also to read the article. AQUARIUM WATER from which you will learn about the qualitative components of aquarium water and methods for balancing them in the home.