Transplanting fish from one aquarium to another is stressful for them. Fish that were improperly transported and transplanted may be sick or die. Understanding how to acclimatize a fish and what it is, significantly increases the chances that everything will go smoothly.
What is acclimatization? Why is it needed? What are the rules for transplanting fish? On these and other questions, you will find the answer in our article.
What is acclimatization?
Acclimatization or transfer of fish to a new aquarium is the process by which the fish will be transplanted with minimal anxiety and a change in the maintenance parameters. The most frequent situation when acclimatization is needed. you bought fish and transport them to put in your aquarium.
When you buy new fish, acclimatization begins at the moment when you launch them in another aquarium and can last up to two weeks for the fish to get used to the new environment.
Why is it needed?
Water has many parameters, for example. hardness (the amount of dissolved minerals), pH (acid or alkaline), salinity, temperature, and all this directly affects the fish.
Since the vital activity of a fish directly depends on the water in which it lives, a sudden change leads to stress. In case of dramatic changes in the quality of water, immunity goes down, the fish get sick often die.
Check the water in your tank
In order to transplant fish, first check the properties of the water in your tank. For successful and rapid acclimatization, it is necessary that the water parameters are as similar as possible to the one in which the fish were kept.
In most cases, the pH and hardness will be the same for sellers who live in the same region as you. Fish that need special parameters, such as very soft water, must be kept by the seller in a separate container.
If he doesn’t want to ruin it all, it’s over. Before buying, check the water parameters and compare them with the parameters from the seller, in most cases they will be similar.
The process of acclimatization and transplantation
When buying fish, buy special packages for transportation, with rounded corners and resistant to damage. The bag is filled with water for a quarter and three quarters with oxygen from a cylinder. Now this service is distributed in all markets and is quite cheap.
The package itself is best placed in an opaque package that will not let in daylight. In such a package, the fish will receive enough oxygen, will not harm themselves against the solid walls, and will remain calm in the dark. When you bring the fish home, before you place them in the aquarium, follow these steps:
- Turn off the light, the bright light will disturb the fish.
- Lower the fish bag into the aquarium and let it float. After 20-30 minutes, open it and release the air. Roll out the edges of the bag so that it floats across the surface.
- After 15-20 minutes, the temperature inside the package and the aquarium will be equal. Slowly fill it with water from the aquarium, and then release the fish.
- Leave the light off until the end of the day, in most cases it won’t eat at first, so don’t try to feed it. Feed better than old inhabitants.
What if there is a significant difference in conditions?
Although some species of fish prefer water of certain parameters, vendors may contain them in significantly different conditions. First of all, it is an attempt to accustom fish to local conditions. And many fish live quite well in water, which differs significantly from that in their native waters. The problem arises if you buy fish in another region, for example, via the Internet.
If it is immediately transplanted into local water, death is possible. In these cases, the fish are placed in an acclimatization aquarium, the conditions in which are as close as possible to those in which they lived. Slowly and gradually you add local water, for a few weeks teaching the fish.
- – The water in the package must be replaced gradually. In fact, the only parameter that you can equalize in a short period is the temperature. It will take 20 minutes. It takes weeks for the fish to get used to stiffness, pH, and the rest. Stirring here will not help, even harm if not equalize the temperature.
- -Cleaning the aquarium will help the fish overcome stress.
Things like. changing water, cleaning the soil, filter is very important in the daily care of the aquarium.
New fish need to get used to the conditions, and it is best to maintain the aquarium a few days before the transplant and a week after.
- Turn off the light during transplantation and for several hours after it.
- Inspect and recalculate all new fish during the week after transplantation, to avoid loss
- Tell the seller how long you will go to the house, he will tell you how best to save the fish.
- Record all types of fish you bought. If this is new, then you may not remember their house name.
- Do not buy fish for several weeks if your fish has been sick.
- Try to reduce stress for the fish. do not turn on the light, avoid noise and keep children away
- If the fish will go for a long time, carefully pack it in a rigid container that stores heat.
- Never start too many new fish at the same time, in an aquarium younger than three months no more than 6 fish per week
- Large fish and catfish should be transported separately to avoid damage.
- Avoid buying fish in the heat