An important point in the maintenance of underwater pets is to monitor the water temperature in the aquarium and keep it at a comfortable level.
In the natural habitat there are no sudden changes in water temperature. Due to the volume of the water surface, the water slowly cools and heats up. Fishes have time to get used and adapt.
If the summer is hot and the sun heats the water too much, then hydrobionts need only dwell at a lower depth and not experience sudden changes in water temperature.
When kept in an aquarium, the temperature of the water requires careful surveillance. The possibility of sudden drops depends on the volume of the aquarium, the power of its heating or cooling devices.
Thermometers are used to measure the heat of a liquid. It is placed further from the heater, in the middle of the aquarium.
Thermometers are 2 types by location:
- Outer. Attached to the outer wall. Because of the location of the measurement results with great accuracy. Because the thermometer also affects the air, which is often colder.
- Submersible (internal). It will be the best solution. Located inside the pond. At the internal thermometer, the measurement error is small and indicates a correct indicator.
According to the type of action thermometers are divided:
- Glass thermometer with a mercury indicator.
- Liquid crystal thermometer (self-adhesive strip on the glass).
- Digital Thermometer.
- Alcohol thermometer.
Find out in advance what the temperature should be in the aquarium for fish.
What should be the temperature of the water in the home aquarium
Most species have a temperature threshold of 22 to 26 degrees Celsius. Lower rates are no longer suitable for warm-water inhabitants, but cold-blooded fish, accustomed to cool water, will be comfortable. If necessary, tropical pets with high tolerability allow the temperature of the content to be increased by 2–3 degrees (for example, when stimulating the spawning of males and females).
It is best for pets to tolerate changes in water temperature in an aquarium with sufficient oxygen in the water.
Table temperature for different types
For each type of pet water temperature in the aquarium is selected individually. For warm and cold-water inhabitants, it should be different. For example, the temperature in an aquarium of a goldfish is cooler, and cichlids tolerate different temperature ranges.
This table presents a constant water temperature for popular species of inhabitants.
Ways to maintain temperature
Tank heating methods:
- Use a special heater.
- Use hot water bottles.
Ways to cool the tank:
- Buying aquarium refrigerator.
- Turn on the fan.
- Maintain the necessary performance air conditioning.
- Application of ice cubes.
Each aquarist himself decides how to maintain the optimum temperature for the aquarium. When using heaters and refrigerators, the aquarist will gain complete control over the thermometer, but this will be expensive. It will be cheaper to use hot water bottles, ice, but if you make a mistake, it will harm the inhabitants.
How to help with deviations
Sometimes the aquarist will overlook the thermometer or the equipment for heating or cooling will fail. Do not underestimate the effect of water temperature on the inhabitants of the reservoir. It is important to quickly take action to return indicators within acceptable limits.
If the thermometer indicates above 30 degrees, then the inhabitants have a high probability of dying.
When overheating is important to lower the temperature in the reservoir.
The reasons why the environment becomes very warm:
- Direct sunlight.
- High ambient temperature.
- Excessive proximity to heating devices.
- Close finding with a powerful lamp.
- Incorrect reading of the water temperature monitoring station for aquarium fish.
- Lack of cover.
How to quickly cool the water in the tank:
- Pour into a bottle of cold liquid and lower it into an overheated tank.
- Direct the fan to the surface of the liquid
- Use a cooler or fridge for aquariums.
- Add ice to water.
A dangerous consequence of increasing thermometer performance is the lack of oxygen in the water. Pets will experience a lack of oxygen. Inhabitants swim up and try to breathe air from the surface. In order to saturate the liquid with oxygen, the liquid must be aerated constantly. Compressors, hydrogen peroxide and oxygen tablets are used to dramatically increase the amount of oxygen. After a while the fish will calmly breathe.
When airing rooms and drafts, a rapid decrease in temperature occurs.
To heat the liquid and maintain optimal performance using the following methods:
- Use of a thermogret.
- Pour boiling water into a bottle and put it in cooled water.
- Add boiled water from the kettle. Be careful when pouring boiling water. The percentage of boiled liquid should be below 10.
- Use an aquarium heater.
- Replace some of the water with a warmer one. But this should be done slowly, not to increase the degrees dramatically.
- Bring a powerful lamp to the surface.
- Blow the surface of the liquid with hot air.
- Use a weak boiler.
- Catch and run the fish in the aquarium with warm water (if there is one).
- Use alcohol if other methods are not suitable. Add 1 tablespoon to a 100 liter tank. Do not forget to change the water later.
If the fish are able without any problems to survive a low or high indicator of the thermometer, then abrupt changes will necessarily cause disease. Fish are sensitive to overshoot. The range of thermometer oscillations should not be large in a short time. It often happens that when transporting fish he strongly hesitated. In this case, many inhabitants will not reach alive.
Why is the right water temperature so important?
Properly selected fluid parameters for each species will help to avoid almost all pet diseases. Water temperature directly affects the quality of health and immunity. Therefore, the temperature regime must be monitored.
- Place the container in the right place, away from the window, batteries and air conditioners.
- Get a thermoglock.
- Equip the tank with a thermometer.
- Do not forget about aeration.
- Use alcohol only in extreme cases.
- The safest way is to lower the hot / cold bottle.
With careful attention to pets and careful care, the parameters of the fish will always be at the optimum level. It will save the inhabitants from most diseases. Pay attention to this!