The number of aquarists is constantly growing. The aquarium for beginners is not difficult, if you look into it, after which an interesting immersion into the world of aquarism will begin. Please note that this is an introductory article for beginners. Details about the launch of the aquarium for the first time we tell separately.
Choosing an aquarium
The arrangement begins with the purchase of a glass house for fish. Aquariums are sold in various shapes and sizes. The most stable bacterial environment is formed in bulk tanks, so a spacious aquarium is suitable for teapots. Plus, this capacity is also in the settlement of a larger number of fish and the ability to breed pets. Prefer the classic rectangular shape. A spherical or vessel with an unusual shape will be a source of stress for fish.
To properly set up an aquarium for newbies, the aquarist should follow these rules:
- The tank is installed in a place where direct sunlight does not fall, there is no constant noise and movement.
- The surface on which the object is placed must withstand the weight of the reservoir in the glass.
- All manipulations with the aquarium (raising the lid, washing the filter or changing the liquid) should be done without obstruction.
- Consider in advance where the equipment is connected.
Prepare the water before starting. She defended at least a day, it should not be chlorine and other harmful impurities. Special water tests and bacterial culture will be needed for the first run. Some species of fish need soft or, on the contrary, hard water. Softens the liquid by boiling or freezing. Water becomes tougher at the expense of stones and shells.
For a comfortable keeping of fish in the aquarium, get the necessary equipment. Equipment providing the main functions:
- Internal filter. Suitable for a small aquarium. Filters the water, avoiding cloudiness and stagnation. Before you buy, read the instructions, the pages of which set out the characteristics of the device and the rules of operation.
- External filter. External devices are more expensive. Filter the liquid in larger tanks.
- Compressor for oxygenation of water. Provides fish a comfortable life.
- Thermometer. Allows you to monitor the temperature.
- Temperature regulator. Heaters with pond coolers are especially useful on hot or cold days.
- Lamp. Plants need more light than fish. The light will ensure the normal growth of the aquarium flora and will simulate the natural habitat.
What you need an aquarist of devices:
- siphon to clean the soil;
- feeders for live food;
- scraper for cleaning aquarium glass from algae.
Shelters and decorations are needed for different types of fish. Jewelry helps to show imagination and create an atmospheric landscape. When breeding fish in the general aquarium, the snags with plants hide the fry from the parent individuals, which often eat the young.
Sometimes in a set with a glass tank there are pedestals and covers with integrated lighting. The option is useful when there is no space to install the vessel. The cabinet is designed for the weight of the tank with water, there are compartments for storing aquarium accessories. The lid is convenient in that it prevents the fish from jumping out and saves the aquarist from the inconvenience associated with installing lighting.
Start your way in aquarium with small unpretentious aquarium fish. Beautiful unassuming fish, suitable for the role of the first aquarium pets:
These fish live at different temperatures and water parameters, which makes them necessary for a beginner.
Food particles for the inhabitants of the upper layers of the water should not fall to the bottom. For different types of fish special dry balanced feeds are sold. Diversify the diet of plant foods and frozen feed.
Pets should eat all their food in five minutes.
Process food with boiling water, for small fish, serve chopped food. Large aquarium inhabitants give large pellets. Feed the fish at one time, make a diet based on their needs.
You can not provide full care for an aquarium without water plants. They are important for those who want to do aquascape. It is better to choose unpretentious aquarium plants that can live at different temperatures, water parameters, minimum illumination. For beginners suitable:
- riccia floating;
- key javanese mosses;
- ferns Thai, pterygoid;
- Amazonian echinodorus;
Avoid plants collected by yourself. Treat the purchased plants before running in an aqueous solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide (1 teaspoon per liter of water) or in a solution of methylene blue (0.5 g per liter of water). Periodically cut the greens, make sure that the leaves do not appear dark bloom.
It is necessary to adjust the equipment and the bacterial environment of the reservoir in advance. Pass at least two weeks before launch. Sometimes snails are launched with ampoules, which nobly influence the formation of an ecosystem. Run the fish for the first time to gradually. First, the temperature regime is leveled; for this, a closed shipping bag with fish is placed in the aquarium. Then the water from the bag is gradually mixed with water in the vessel until the newly arrived fish is fully adapted.
How to care for the aquarium
At home, taking care of an aquarium is simple. constantly monitor the internal state of the environment. Take your time cleaning the aquarium or changing the water. The process requires patience and regularity, as well as some knowledge and experience.
The frequency of use of the siphon depends on the volume of the aquarium and the conditions of detention. Siphon primer should be paying attention to each part of the bottom.
During the cleaning process, water flows out with impurities. The water pressure is regulated by the position of the tank into which the dirty water enters. It is possible to combine water changes with soil cleaning. Turn off aquarium equipment before siphoning. Remove the decorations and wash them separately.
All filter elements are washed with aquarium water. Rinsing under running water will destroy the colonies of beneficial bacteria. It is recommended to change the filtering material every six months.
Keeping an aquarium at home means partially replacing water once a week. In no case can not change the water to fresh completely. The amount of new water should not exceed 25%. An abrupt change in temperature and biochemical composition of water is harmful to fish. Substitutions are made by clean, separated water.
Rules for aquarists
Tips for novice aquarists:
- Watch the behavior and appearance of the fish. Coloring should be saturated, eyes without haze. If you suspect, contact an experienced aquarist, describing in detail the problem, the parameters of the aquarium and the characteristics of the fish.
- Keep in mind that even in a healthy aquarium, in addition to plants and fish, other small inhabitants appear (for example, ciliates or small insects).
- Serve the aquarium on time. Incomplete care of the aquarium stimulates the poisoning of fish and reduced immunity.
- Putting new fish, study the information about them. They may not be compatible with the required water parameters or temperament.
- In the event of death of the fish immediately remove the corpse from the water. Determine the cause of death by visual inspection.
- If the fish shows signs of illness, deposit it in a separate container.
- Do not knock on the glass and do not interfere in the life of the inhabitants of the home aquarium unnecessarily.
- Starting to breed fish, learn what you can not do without for successful spawning, and how many males the female lives with.
- To avoid damaging the walls of the aquarium, use a non-metallic scraper.
- If stones are collected from the street, check them for the presence of heavy metal ions with acetic or citric acid. Stones containing unwanted elements will react in contact with acid. Boil the soil thoroughly so as not to carry the parasites into the aquarium. Snags collected in nature are also subject to thorough boiling.
- To avoid jumping fish from the aquarium, cover the tank with a lid.
- Proper use of an aquarium siphon to connect equipment or feeding fish is impossible without training and preparation, it will take a little patience before aquarist training becomes productive.
Science indicates the ability of fish to feel and recognize faces. Water pets have their own characteristics and range of sensations. Do not be lazy to create convenience in the world of underwater inhabitants, because the fish are sensitive and intelligent creatures.