Water for the aquarium is selected taking into account the inhabitants of the reservoir and close to the natural conditions. For this reason, it is not necessary to settle the fish with different characteristics.
What water is suitable for aquarium
Spring liquid has unstable parameters and composition, so use air conditioners. Chlorine removal is required at any time of the year. Monitor pH. Aeration and a portion of the water in the aquarium are used to achieve optimal parameters in the home.
Different types. different temperature conditions. Water temperature affects the quality of aeration and spawning of fish. By increasing the parameter to 28 degrees, the fish go into a state of reproduction.
The critical mark is 35 degrees. At higher temperatures, the aquarium population dies. Do not let the temperature drop below 18 degrees, this is the minimum value for cold-loving fish. An aquarium heater is used to maintain the temperature.
Hardness. the content of salts of calcium, magnesium and other alkaline earth metals.
It can be permanent (non-carbonate) and temporary (carbonate). Unit of measure: degrees of hardness (dGH, dKH). This parameter is unstable: the population of the aquarium absorbs salt, and stones and shells increase rigidity. And also the salinity varies throughout the year. Stiffness increases with evaporation, decreases in the rainy season.
Aquarium dwellers of different types need different hardness. For an aquarium with snails and crayfish, hard water is needed to maintain the strength of the shell, and some fish are suitable for extremely soft water. Determine the stiffness of the special tests.
Acidity (pH) is a pH in the acidic environment.
Acidity is affected by:
In the morning, the acidity is higher, in the evening the indicator shifts towards alkaline water. Aeration makes the water more acidic. In hard water, changes occur smoothly. The pH is determined by litmus paper or tests. A chemical reaction in an acidic environment will turn the paper red, and in alkaline. blue. Alkaline water can be made using soda. Acidity increases with peat.
The lower the pH, the more the liquid deviates towards the alkaline one, the pH 7 of neutral tap water, and the pH above 7 is inherently acidic. You can clearly see the table:
Water for fish
For all fish there is no ideal habitat, each species has its own preferences. Some like sour, others. more alkaline. Unpretentious fish adapt to different ranges of hardness, acidity and other water parameters.
Fish survive with the following parameters:
- rigidity 5–25 dGh;
- temperature 23–26 degrees;
- pH 6.5–8.
Ideal water parameters for fish:
Some species of Killy fish are adapted to survive at temperatures up to 45 degrees. Cichlids of the genus telapia survive at 70 degrees. Fishes in an aquarium need moderately hard water. Neon, some types of Betta Fish and barbs require a soft, cool one.
For pregnant females and fry
For a separate tank with a pregnant female, use aquarium water, which is familiar to the fish. Lack of liquid replenish settled fluid. When placing a fish in an aquarium, make sure that the temperature and water parameters are comfortable for the expectant mother.
Make liquid changes and siphon the soil more often. At a temperature of 28 degrees in viviparous fish premature birth occurs. However, this property is useful if the fish cannot give birth.
Fill for the first time
- Wash the aquarium without detergent, wipe the glass with a soft sponge.
- Put the primer.
- Pour water from the tap and defend it in the aquarium. At first, the aquarium water will become cloudy due to the active proliferation of bacteria.
- When the turbidity is gone, plant the plants and run the fish.
Prepare water for the aquarium at home. Preparation includes removing:
- chlorine and chloramine;
- heavy metals;
- nitrogen compounds;
To defend, pick up a wide vessel, for example, a large bucket or basin. Do not use containers that contain traces of detergent.
Chloramine, consisting of chlorine and ammonia, is more stable and harmful than simple chlorine. Chlorine evaporates after a few hours, but merely settling slightly can affect the concentration of chloramine. Find out how water is cleaned at the waterworks. Modern stations produce water purification with ozone and ultraviolet, which is safe for fish. Under natural conditions, ozone is felt during thunderstorms.
You can rid the water of harmful compounds:
Remove unwanted solid metals and chemical compounds through osmotic or deionization filters or purchase distilled water. Watch out for the hardness and acidity of pure water.
Duration of settling
Defend tap water for aquarium day. Chlorine will have time to volatilize, and the temperature will equalize to the desired values. In a weekly settling is not necessary, during this time there is a staleness and a dusty film on the surface.
How to quickly prepare
As quickly as possible to get the sedimented fluid conditioners. They add beneficial trace elements during cleaning. Use conditioner to prepare the fluid and to maintain favorable properties. Aeration will accelerate the dechlorination process.
Aeration is responsible for the amount of dissolved oxygen and is controlled by:
- Plants. Plants produce oxygen through photosynthesis. In the dark, plants absorb oxygen, emitting carbon dioxide.
- Temperature At elevated temperatures, oxygen spreads worse.
- The population of the aquarium. In overpopulated conditions, inmates need more oxygen.
- Equipment. Aquarists are provided with compressors, pumps for the aquarium, aquarium filter with additional aeration. Give preference to devices that are solely responsible for aeration.
If the fish do not have enough air, they breathe heavily and prefer the upper layers.
How often should be changed
Replace water weekly. Combine the substitution of fluid with cleaning the soil, filter, decorations and thinning of plants. It is especially important to monitor the cleanliness of small tanks. In bulk aquariums, the bacterial environment is more stable. In such banks, you can carry out a general cleaning once a month. If an outbreak occurs, transplant survivors to a quarantine tank. During treatment, change the water 3-4 times a week.
How much to fill
For a smooth change, pour 10–15% of the volume of fluid in the aquarium. When changing every two weeks pour 20-25% liquid.
How to make water not hard
- Filtration. When using osmotic filters, rid the liquid of all impurities. Cons of this method: the requirement of some knowledge and expensive equipment.
- Boiling. Half-hour boiling reduces the rigidity in half.
- Acrylic resin. Dip the resin crystals into the aquarium or add to the filter. In 1-2 days, the stiffness decreases.
- Add soft water. Dilute tap water distilled, thawed or rainwater to the desired value.
- Freezing. Choose a shallow container for freezing. Freeze the liquid to the state when the liquid remains third. Melt the ice, drain the unfrozen liquid: it concentrates calcium and magnesium salts, which increase rigidity.
- Plants. Suitable: elodey, rogolnik, kladofora, nitella (glossy shine), stump.
- Special substances. You can buy chemicals in the aquarium department.
Increase stiffness by adding:
- coral crumb;
Boil corals and shells so as not to carry the parasites into the aquarium.
In addition to tap, there are different types of liquids:
- Filtered. Be attentive to the water purified by household filter. Ion exchange filters replace calcium and magnesium ions with sodium, which is toxic to fish and plants. Special filters with activated carbon are suitable for aquarism.
- Boiled. After boiling the liquid loses harmful and beneficial substances.
- Bottled Such water is rarely poured into an aquarium due to the lack of essential minerals. Using such a liquid is expensive and troublesome.
- Distilled. Only with a small amount of aquarium. Can be obtained from the reverse osmosis filter. Useful trace elements are completely absent.
- Rain. Option impractical due to impurities and unstable fluid composition.
- Spring Differs in high rigidity. Used for mixing with tap.
- From another aquarium. Pouring liquid from one tank to another, make sure that the nitrate content does not exceed the norm, all residents of another aquarium are healthy. Otherwise, you can infect the fish.
Brief instruction for the preparation of water
- Dial liquid for substitution.
- Add air conditioning if necessary.
- Turn on aeration for at least 15 minutes.
- When adding a conditioner, equalize the temperature of fresh water with the aquarium, after which it can be poured.
- If the preparation takes place without air conditioning, let the water stand for at least 24 hours.
After completing all the instructions, there will be no problems with water in your tank.