1. Amount of feed.
The first and most important rule. it is better to underfeed the fish than to feed. It has been found that for adult fish, to provide all needs per day, it is enough to eat two to three percent of its weight. Having eaten “a little extra” you can “lose weight” with the help of physical exercises.
However, their mobility is limited in the aquarium, they do not have to waste energy on the prey and search for food, salvation from predators. It turns out that overfeeding leads to obesity, disruption of the internal organs and metabolism.
Constantly transmitting fish will not be able to breed, will be more susceptible to disease. The remnants of food not eaten begin to rot, spoil the water and become the cause of disease and death of fish. How to avoid it?
It is necessary to feed the fish in small portions once or twice a day so that the feed will be eaten by the fish in 5 minutes (adult goldfish can be fed every other day). It is recommended to agree in advance who will feed the fish in your office or home, otherwise the fish will eat dozens of times a day, and nothing else on the other day.
It is good to arrange a fasting day once a week and not to feed the fish at all (if the aquarium is located in the office, then arrange a fasting weekend). Fish do not need to constantly spend energy on heating the body, which is why they can easily withstand the hunger strike.
Proper nutrition fish
The third rule: Tastes do not argue or everyone has his own! You need to know in advance what and how to feed the fish you like: vegetarians or predators, whether they pick up food from the bottom, catch in the water column or grab from the surface.
it can help you when you choose food. In addition, it is very important that the feed size corresponds to the size of the mouth of the fish. Small fishes are unlikely to be happy even with tasty delicacies if they cannot swallow it or examine it.
Any excess feed left after feeding should be removed immediately; this issue is especially important if the density of fish landing in the aquarium is high and when using feed that strongly pollutes the water.
In humans, starvation leads to the fact that the body burns fats and accumulated slags. In aquarium fish, fasting has the same function. Such starvation should be arranged once a week (“hungry day”).
Food on this day is not given to fish in general. You should not worry that the fish will die of hunger or start hunting for each other, the fish will get used to the “hungry days” over time and will endure them more easily.
Like other animals, fish, depending on their preferences and needs for food, are divided into three classes: carnivorous, herbivorous and omnivorous. They all differ significantly in their eating habits.
A distinctive feature of predatory or carnivorous fish is the presence of a large stomach. This suggests that, unlike herbivorous fish, predators rarely eat, but in large portions. In the wild, small fish, birds, insects, invertebrates and amphibians can serve them. Diagram of the digestive organs of predatory fish
This type of fish can eat anything from algae to animals. However, each subspecies has its own dietary characteristics, so it is important to approach the definition of the diet responsibly and consult on this with experienced aquarium owners.
Important! It is not recommended to do food for the inhabitants of your aquarium on your own, as such food may contain insufficient amount of nutrients needed by the fish.
To make your aquatic pets feel good and live a long life, their food must combine different elements and be enriched with useful substances. It is also important to adhere to a certain technique and frequency of feeding.
In order for the individuals living in your tank to be healthy, make sure that the package of food that you buy them contains sufficient amounts of vitamins, minerals and other essential elements, since any of them brings certain benefits to the inhabitants of the aquarium:
- Vitamin K. dissolves fat, is necessary for the synthesis of proteins and blood coagulation;
- Vitamin A. is involved in cell division. If the fish lacks this component, it can grow too slowly, suffer from constant stress, curvature of the spine or fins;
- Vitamin C is necessary for the formation of bones and teeth, maintaining immunity and improving metabolism;
- Vitamin E. contributes to the development of the reproductive functions of the fish organism;
- vitamins B1, B2, B12. normalize metabolic processes;
- Vitamin B4 is necessary for the synthesis of blood sugar and for the individual to grow;
- Vitamin M. promotes the development of the immune and circulatory systems.
Most aquarium fish are carnivorous or omnivorous. Their weekly diet may be about the same:
- Dry branded food.
- Dry branded feed of a different type.
- Live feed.
- Dry branded food.
- Dry and vegetable food.
- Live and vegetable food.
- Unloading, do not give the fish food to their stomachs are cleared.
It is necessary to feed the inhabitants of the aquarium so that they do not overeat, but do not feel the need for food. Portions and feeding frequency depend on the age and type of fish.
Adults usually eat twice a day, but fry should be fed more often: up to one month old. every 3-5 hours, 1-2 months old. 4 times a day.
Important! Two weeks before spawning, it is necessary to give aquarium inhabitants more food, especially of live origin. During the spawning period, the amount of food should be reduced, and a few days after it is possible not to feed fish at all.
2. A variety of feed.
The second and no less important rule: Food should be varied! After all, you will not eat only cucumbers or, for example, carrots? In nature, the menu of many popular aquarium dwellers includes various invertebrates (crustaceans, worms, insect larvae), caviar and young fish of other fish, plants.
Therefore, you should not rely on the fact that your fish will be healthy and bright if you feed them only dried daphnia. Naturally, among the fish there are experts, for example, many catfish (pterigoplichts, antsistrusy, etc.
) consider the soft top layer of wood on snags to be the best delicacy, snails prefer tetradons, and piranhas and other predators. live fish. However, such fish also need and can alternate different types of food (for example, catfish, with the exception of coals, eat well any vegetable food, do not give up moth).
To be sure that your fish get all the vitamins and nutrients they need, you can use special vitamin supplements for fish (for example, Tetra’s Liqui-fit, Biovit from Aqua Medic, Stress Protect and AquaVital from Aquarium Munster) they are mainly added to water and feed.
The main types of feed
The presence in the diet of live food is mandatory for predatory and omnivorous fish. Often it consists of a bloodworm, a pipe worker, or a corelet, but it’s not recommended to give one for a long time, it is important to diversify the diet.
The live feed is especially necessary for fish when spawning, because after its use they spawn more readily. And if you feed individuals with food of living origin since the juvenile age, they grow up more healthy and strong.
Among the minuses of this power can be identified:
- the possibility of poisoning the inhabitants of the aquarium poor-quality or spoiled product;
- the risk of entering the aquarium disease;
- bloodworm, if too often given to the inhabitants of the aquarium, can harm them, because it is difficult to digest;
- Tubber should be thoroughly cleaned before giving to fish, which causes a lot of trouble, because it can be completely cleaned by washing several times a day for a whole week. You can feed it to fish only when it gets a pinkish hue.
It is important to observe the conditions for proper storage of live food, so as not to harm your pets. It is recommended to feed such type of food through a special feeding trough, however, it is impossible to store food in it for a long time, because it can deteriorate and fish will be poisoned.
Did you know? The largest cylindrical aquarium is located in one of the hotels in the capital of Germany. Its height is 25 meters, outer diameter. 11 meters, internal. about 3 meters, volume. 900,000 liters. In the sea water with which this reservoir is filled, 2600 individuals of 56 different species inhabit.
Branded dry food is the most common option for feeding fish. It is of three types:
- in granules (for large individuals);
- in tablets (for fish living on the bottom of the reservoir);
- in the form of flakes (for small fish).
Branded feed, which is now produced by manufacturers, contain a sufficient amount of nutrients, however, you should not repeat a very common mistake among novice aquarists and feed your water pets exclusively with branded dry food.
First, the fish love this food very much and, as soon as they see it, they fill their stomachs right away. Some of the dry food in the body of fish is digested, while some remains in the stomach to rot. Therefore, it is important not to overfeed pets with this type of food, but to combine it with others.
Secondly, not all the food you put in the aquarium, its inhabitants will eat: most of the product will remain in the water, changing its chemical composition. It is difficult to prevent contamination of the aquarium if you give the fish dry food.
All species of sea and river dwellers feed on plants, except for some predatory ones. Therefore, a variety of vegetable feed exactly make you think: what is better to choose for your tank? These can be live algae, pills or flakes.
Did you know? Fish, who lived a record number of years in the aquarium, bore the nickname Pati. It was a female eel born in the Sargasso Sea. 85 of her 88s she lived in captivity.
Herbal supplement to the daily diet can be prepared independently: it can be chopped into thin strips and boiled zucchini or fresh beetroots.
Vegetable food also helps to deal with the ailments that can occur in fish. For example, boiled peas help with constipation or stomach problems.
It is often given to goldfish, as they are prone to diseases of the stomach. Those fish that live on the bottom of the aquarium love broccoli, but only the upper part.
Frozen feed is an alternative way to store live food. The need for frozen food for fish is due to the reluctance of the owners to keep usual live food in the refrigerator.
Frozen fish products have obvious advantages:
- they are easier to divide into separate portions;
- easy to store, no unwanted odor in your fridge;
- this food has the same composition as regular live food, but it does not deteriorate. Thus, the risk of fish poisoning is reduced.
Did you know? One of the most dangerous aquarium fish is puffer. With proper preparation, such fish can become an exquisite delicacy called “Fugu fish”, but every year tens of people die from improperly cooked exotic food.
The most common cause of fish disease is not an infection brought into the aquarium, but improper care of a novice aquarist: incorrect water temperature, balance of useful substances in it, acidity, hardness, oxygen amount, etc.
Therefore, the best prevention of fish diseases will be to maintain cleanliness in the tank and the correct diet.
It is also important to know that by no means should you feed aquarium fish:
- bakery products;
- meat and animal by-products;
- cheap dry food.
Also for the prevention of diseases you can use prophylactic solutions:
- 10 mg of copper sulphate 130 mg of levomycetin 660 mg of neomycin sulfate should be mixed with 10 mg of water. It is necessary to keep the fish in such a solution for up to 5 days, daily cleaning the tank from waste and pouring 9/10 of fresh water with the indicated preparations in the same ratio.
- For 10 liters of water, mix 10 mg of copper sulphate with 110 mg of neomycin sulfate. It is necessary to clean the aquarium every day and add 9/10 of fresh water with the specified substances.
Exceptions to the rule.
Special cases include:
- Feeding young fish or fry, feeding convalescent or sick fish, feeding fish preparing for spawning. Feed the fry five or six times a day, but in small portions. During active growth, fry should eat up to 100 percent of their weight daily, at one time they will not be able to cope. And of course, young people do not like fasting days.
- Often, sick fish are not fed, because usually the fish lose their appetite during illness, and during recovery, you must carefully consider the choice of food, also do not forget about vitamins!
- Fish that are being prepared for spawning are quite often fed with live food in a diverse and abundant way (information on preparing for spawning can be found in the special literature).
We wish you success in the correct feeding of your fish!