There is no denying that natural foods are digested more fully than dry artificial ones. The fact is that with the consumption of natural live food in the digestive process in the digestive tract of fish, not only fish digestive enzymes but also lysosomal (i.e., destroying to the simplest intestinal molecular chains of proteins, fats, carbohydrates) enzymes from the cells of the organism consumed take part. Probiotics, which are discussed below, help bring the course of the digestion process to the natural.
Photo 1. On the left is the variet of a goldfish receiving prepared food, on the right is the variet of a goldfish that has become a flipper as a result of feeding with unprepared dry food
Modern dry food can fully meet the needs of both growing and adult body of aquarium fish. However, they will be able to complete their task only under certain rules about how to feed the fish with dry food, which are not even mentioned on the labels.
Packages contain information on the composition, the ratio of proteins and carbohydrates, the percentage of fat, and so on. But there is no recommendation of the preparation of food before giving it to the fish.
Any dry food before giving it to the fish, you need to soak at least in the aquarium water for from five to ten minutes. It is easy to pick up the soaking time yourself. the correctly soaked feed will almost double in volume. This is especially important if you do not know how much to feed aquarium fish with dry food.
The question may arise. why do this, if the aquarium around the fish and so full of water?
Under natural conditions, and the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract) of aquarium fish is created and correctly functioning precisely for the natural conditions of housing, the fish do not consume dry food, since they simply do not exist in nature. Each natural food provides the body of the fish not only with nutrients, but also with water. In addition, dry food tends to swell.
Once in the digestive tract of fish, dry food is doubled in size, weight increases almost three times.
The food turns into a tight lump, which is hardly pushed in the gastrointestinal tract by smooth muscle muscles. This causes a number of problems:
- The passage of feed slows down, it is not wetted properly by digestive enzymes, and this leads not only to inadequate nutrient absorption, but also to increased reproduction of putrefactive bacteria.
- Putrefactive bacteria, in turn, cause the formation of excessive amounts of gases.
- Excessive amounts of gas provoke a loss of coordination of the movements of the fish. This is especially inherent in various varieties of goldfish, most often. ranch.
- Small fishes are amazed by a disease that in aquariums has received the household name "Float", "Flippers fishes". Gases accumulated in the back of the intestine cause upward lifting of the back of the body; the fish hangs helplessly, buried in the bottom of the aquarium.
Photo 2 Ranch float. the result of improperly abundant feeding of unwetted dry food
- If gases accumulate in the central part of the intestine, conditions are created for the occurrence of an inorganic lesion. The float-fish is turned upside down by the abdomen and hangs in the water, unable to swim.
- The slow passage of food through the gastrointestinal tract and the activity of putrefactive bacteria is the cause of the increased formation of various toxins contributing to the weakening of the body of the fish, and as a result, the emergence of diseases such as hexamytosis, mycobacteriosis (tuberculosis) of fish, and renal failure, which can be found in more detail in relevant articles AquaMegaPedia.ru
- Feeding dry food contributes to the obesity of aquarium fish. It is noted that when feeding fish with soaked food, less food is required to satisfy hunger.
Photo 3. Varitet goldfish, turned into a shifter as a result of improper use of dry food
It should be noted that to ensure proper nutrition of the inhabitants of the aquarium, you still need to follow the general rules about how to properly feed aquarium fish with dry food, in particular, observe the frequency and quantity, as described in the section “How much and how often to give fish food”. This article also tells how many times to feed aquarium fish with dry food depending on the species.
In general, it is noticed that fish that get soaked food are more resistant to stress and illness. Especially if the feed is soaked in probiotic solutions.
About probiotics can be found in the article "Probiotics for aquarium fish"
About the importance of the right combination of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and various elements, how many times a day, what and how to feed the fish in the aquarium. in the following articles: