Feeding fish is one of the pleasant, entertaining processes that bring a lot of pleasant emotions. But do not forget that over-feeding the fish can also harm them. To prevent this from happening, you must follow 3 basic rules:
- Feed the fish once a day.
- It is better to feed less fish than to feed them. Count on feeding for just a few minutes. It is necessary to calculate such a quantity of feed that your inhabitants of the aquarium die off for 2-5 minutes. If after 5 minutes the feed is still there, then reduce the dosage.
- Before the feeding process, it is necessary to turn off all filtering systems of the aquarium water so that food remains do not get into the system, do not decompose there and do not spoil the water.
Why can’t fish be overfed? Because she has no sense of satiety. In nature, a fish cannot find much food for itself every day; therefore, it is so arranged that it is always hungry. If there is a lot of food in the aquarium, the fish will eat to infinity, especially guppies, petilles, swordtails, neons. They will eat until they are torn apart. In this case, the fish will die. Therefore, strictly follow the dosage of feed.
Once a week it is useful not to feed the fish. Choose this day when you do the cleaning in the aquarium, put it in order, do the water change. Vodichku replaced, cleaned the filter, the biosystem a little bit lost. You allow bacteria to recover, and the next day you give the fish to eat and the load on the ecological balance will be gone.
In general, without food in the aquarium with plants, the fish calmly live up to 20 days. Provided that you previously fed them regularly once a day and did a fasting day once a week. That is, if you need to go somewhere, you do not need to ask your neighbors to feed your aquarium pets. You will observe the correct diet of fish and the dosage of feed, for 20 days of your absence at home nothing will happen to them. On the contrary, such a diet will only benefit.
The main signs of over-feeding aquarium fish
- The simplest sign is water turbidity. However, it should not be confused with turbidity after water changes;
- the water smells a bit of mud and fish. Good clean water in an aquarium should not smell at all;
- the development of algae on the walls of the aquarium;
- the appearance of a bacterial film on the surface of the aquarium;
- foliage aquarium plants unusually slippery.
When overfeeding, the remnants of food remain at the bottom of the aquarium, on filtering materials and devices. Accordingly, food debris quickly decomposes and promotes the proliferation of bacteria. This is dangerous enough for fish, as they can develop diseases and in the future your pets may die.
Aquarium fish are completely different: large, small, oblong and round. All of them differ not only in shape, color and size, they also have completely different eating habits. Therefore, there is a wide range of feed for aquarium fish that meets various requirements. There are various zones of water in which inhabitants of aquariums live. Some fish are looking for food near the surface of the water, such as guppies. Submersible feed eaten by fish living in the middle layers of water. Finally, there are species of fish, as well as mollusks and crustaceans, which feed from the bottom of the aquarium.
Thanks to a wide range of feed, there are no problems to offer the right food for every inhabitant of the aquarium.
All basic dry foods contain carefully selected and specially processed various raw materials. This promotes optimum feed utilization and prevents excessive water contamination. The result of feeding such balanced feed, created by analogy to natural, will be a healthy growth, liveliness and brightness of the color of fish.
What are the types of feed for aquarium fish?
There are many different types of feed for aquarium fish. This is live food, live frozen, dry.
The photo shows the most common types of dry food.
- For fish that feed mainly on the surface of the water, there are feeds in the form of flakes. Such food floats on the surface of the water for a long time, thus leaving the fish enough time to eat. It is important to crush the flakes so that the small fish can get pieces of suitable size for them.
- For fish that live mainly in the middle layers of water, for example, haratsinovye, there are feed in the form of pellets. Pellets slowly sink, so they are easily eaten by fish.
- Aquarium fish that spend most of their lives and feed on the bottom of the aquarium, there are dry food in the form of chips.
Chips sink to the bottom of the aquarium quickly, they become elastic, while maintaining their shape for a long time. Such food does not fall apart and keeps its excellent taste for a long time. This form of food becomes the most appropriate for various types of catfish.
A special delicacy for the inhabitants of the aquarium are also pelleted feed. This feed in the form of tablets is particularly interesting and convenient to feed the fish. The tablet can be attached to the wall of the aquarium by slightly pressing down with your finger. This feed consists of half of high-quality flaky feed, and half of animal feed prepared by the method of leafilny drying.
There are also tableted feed, consisting of various herbs useful for the inhabitants of the aquarium. This type of food is great for fish that feed both on the water surface and in the middle layers and at the bottom of the aquarium.
Can I feed the fish homemade food?
In addition to the above listed feeds, many aquarium fish will gladly feed on aquatic plants with soft leaves and plants growing on the surface of the water. It is also recommended to add crushed lettuce leaves to the diet. It is even possible to completely place a small bush in an aquarium. Only pre-wash it well. Somiki antsistrusy will be happy to eat lettuce leaves. And the most favorite delicacy for antsistrusov is a fresh cucumber.
- Wonderful food is dry milk. In small quantities can be given.
- Bread crumbs. A piece of bread was dried before the toast, rubbed carefully into a small fraction, so that the small fish could eat, a pinch was poured into the aquarium and the fish would be happy to eat.
- You can also use semolina as a homemade food for aquarium fish. Poured semolina with boiling water and a little thrown into the aquarium.
- Golden fish eats canned green peas with pleasure. It is desirable that it is soft and must be squeezed out of the peel.
- Boiled potatoes. Well boil the potatoes so that it falls apart, finely grind and give the fish a little. And small and large fish with pleasure eats. And for antsistrusov you can cut a small ring and throw it on the bottom.
- Boiled pumpkin. Boiled and small pieces so that the small fish can eat, throw in the aquarium.
Live food consists of plants, animals and microorganisms. It is important that the live food that you provide for your fish contains all the nutrients and corresponds to the quality, then your fish will remain healthy, grow well and develop well. Many live foods are carriers of disease, so you should pay particular attention to the choice of live food for your fish and its storage.
Many fish prefer live plants and algae growing in an aquarium. These are mainly herbivorous fish.
The most common live food is live fish feeder. But this fish often carries diseases or parasites that could, in turn, infect the fish that eats them. This applies more to predatory fish.
Also for live food include:
Treat the pipe worker very carefully. With it you can bring infection to the aquarium. It is used mainly experienced aquarists who know how to handle it. To freeze or disinfect chemicals. But the fish, in the diet of which the pipe worker enters, grows very well and feels great.
With crank easier. There is an option to bring the infection only with river bloodworms. With sea jade no problem. Buy safely and feed your fish.
Keep in mind: there will be no live food. the fish will not spawn. Once or twice a week, be sure to feed live or frozen food.
A substitute for live food is chicken and beef meat. Pork is not desirable. Fish does not digest the fat that is in pork. Sliced, minced and in small doses, add the fish to the diet.
Feeding fish aquarium caviar
Many aquarists fear that when feeding aquarium fish with caviar, there is a risk of infecting them with diseases, especially of an invasive nature, that is, with some parasites. To date, only one invasive caviar disease is known. It is called “palipodioz”, and this disease affects sturgeon fishes, such as sterlet that lives in the Volga, and sturgeon from the Amur and Syrdarya rivers. Therefore, if you do not feed your aquarium pets with caviar of sterlet or stellate sturgeon caught from these rivers, then your fish is not in danger.
Caviar is very useful for growing fry. It is necessary to feed the fry caviar three times a week and you will see how the fry turns into a healthy beautiful fish. Caviar can be taken from any fresh fish, you can fresh-frozen. You can not take caviar from salted caviar, as the salt of fish in the work of the kidneys and liver.
As for the eggs from fish infected with worms, there is no need to worry, since worms live in the intestines and cannot get to the eggs.
It is important to know that the fish that you are preparing to spawn to spawn should stop feeding with caviar 2-3 weeks before it, since even those fish that do not eat their eggs, in this case, can perceive it as another batch of food. Although there are fish, such as cichlids, who clearly know where their eggs, and where the food.
Caviar can be frozen. So it can be stored without loss of quality up to one year.