In order to understand how many times a day it is necessary to feed aquarium fish, it is necessary to understand the peculiarities of their nutrition in their natural habitat. All types of fish borrowed from their natural ancestors taste preferences and diet. What do all the fish usually eat?
Quick transition on the article
- Herbivores. these fish have a long digestive system, which indicates the habit of often eating small portions. In their natural habitat, they eat algae, plants, fruits, and seeds.
- Carnivores. have a large stomach, so they eat a lot, but not as often as herbivores. In nature, these fish eat dead animals, small fish, insects, invertebrates, birds, amphibians.
- Omnivorous. the diet of these fish several times a day, they prefer both vegetable and protein foods.
See how to make vegetable food for aquarium fish.
Live food should be given to carnivorous and omnivorous fish. It is a bloodworm, a pipe worker, a daphnia, a coretera, an infusorium, rotifers, and gammarus. They must be stored in the freezer, they quickly deteriorate. Fish fry need to be grown on live food, due to protein, they become resistant to diseases. Also, as a live feed, small fishes are served with veal, minced fish, chicken meat, liver, invertebrate meat, chicken eggs. Vegetable food is necessary for herbivorous and omnivorous fish. these can be vegetables, fruits, algae, plants, cereal porridge.
Once a week, the fish are satisfied with a fasting day, or a mini-hunger strike. It cleans the intestines, eliminates the effects of overeating, helps to heal sick fish. In the natural environment, fish can live without food for a long time, so a one-day hunger strike will not harm them.
About the regime of feeding in captivity
To feed the fish you need so that they do not overeat, and were full of food. Diet depends on the age of the pet and the characteristics of its digestive system. Adults usually eat 2 times a day, which is enough for them. Youngsters aged 1-2 months should eat 4 times a day. And fry up to one month old need to be fed every 3-6 hours. During the spawning period, the fish should be given less food, sometimes not feeding the first few days after breeding. Two weeks before spawning, producers, on the contrary, should correctly produce more live food.
No matter how many fish you keep, you need to give them all the food at the same time. Begin in the morning, an hour after turning on the lights. The last feeding should occur 2 hours before the lighting is turned off. The question of novice aquarists is how much food to give, and how often? Give us enough food so that they can eat it in 5 minutes. Do not feed often, but in small portions, so that they completely swallow them. Unfinished leftovers can be removed with a net to avoid rotting.
Feed pellets depend on the age and size of the fish. Juveniles should eat food that does not exceed the size of their eyes. Dry food in the form of granules, flakes and tablets is recommended to be ground to dust. Adult fish like to grab larger particles of food, they do not eat dust. In order for all the inhabitants of the household water body to be satisfied with feeding, install special feeders for dry and live food in the tank. Of these, food is not frayed, and pets can eat it calmly.
See how to properly feed dry fish aquarium fish.
How to feed the fish
There are general feeding rules for all fish that need to be followed constantly:
What should get the fish from the feed received
How many times a week should a fish eat, and what portion of nutrients does it need to receive from food? It all depends on individual calculations. Carnivorous and omnivorous fish can be fed according to this scheme:
Feeding in an aquarium can be made differently, and you can make your own scheme. Be sure to alternate between dry, live and vegetable food. If the fish is herbivorous, it should eat only vegetable and dry food (spirulina tablets). Do not forget about the vitamins that should receive a pet for a full life. If you buy food of famous brands, look at the composition, it indicates all the trace elements and vitamins that the fish will receive after eating.
- Vitamin A is needed for cell division, in particular in fry and young. Lack of this component can cause growth retardation, curvature of the spine and fin deformation, and constant stress.
- Vitamin E. plays an important role in the development of the reproductive system.
- Vitamin D3 is essential for the development and growth of the skeletal system.
- Vitamins of group B (thiamine. B1, riboflavin. B2, cyanocobalamin. B12) are necessary for the normalization of metabolic processes in the body.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is involved in the formation of bone system and teeth, strengthens the immune system, improves metabolism.
- Vitamin H (biotin). is required for proper cell formation.
- Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin, it is required for the synthesis of proteins, provides blood clotting.
- Vitamin M (B9, folic acid). develops the immune system, the circulatory system. Improves scales color.
- Vitamin B4 (choline). required for fish growth, synthesizes the amount of sugar in the blood.
Attention, only TODAY!