A domestic artificial reservoir is an intricately organized system in which the biological balance is maintained artificially. Cleaning the reservoir is one of the ways to maintain cleanliness and biological balance. If the fish tank is not cleaned properly, the water inside the vessel may become cloudy and fade out. Therefore, the aquarium should be laundered, taking into account all the subtleties and requirements, in order to avoid many ailments and preserve the health of the inhabitants. The article will help novice aquarists to figure out how to properly clean the aquarium without causing harm to the fish.
Why do I need to wash and clean the aquarium
Over time, the aquarium tends to be polluted, like any dwelling with living creatures. The soil, bottom, walls of the aquarium, plants and houses for fish are covered with bloom, which is formed from feces, food debris and algae growth. The aquarium requires weekly cleaning to ensure a comfortable living for the fish. If you carry out this procedure every week, then washing will not be difficult, since the aquarium will not be very dirty.
Causes of Aquarium Pollution
A raid on glass and substrate may appear for the following reasons:
- Aquarium overpopulation. For each pet requires a certain amount of fluid at the rate of 1.5-2 liters. If the fish has less water, then water turbidity cannot be avoided.
- Overfeeding. Fish do not always eat food intended for one-time feeding. Its subsidence on the substrate contributes to the decomposition and the appearance of algae.
- Stagnant water. In an aquarist, any owner of a household pond takes responsibility for pet care and water change. If it was made at the wrong time, then the process of turbidity of the liquid begins, which is able to spread to the new water.
- Bright lighting. With abundant light, the liquid begins to bloom. This leads to a rapid turbidity of the water, which provokes the appearance of algae.
How to wash the aquarium
For high-quality cleaning of the vessel from the inside, it should be washed using special equipment.
Necessary tools and accessories to clean the aquarium:
- Scraper for glass, to remove plaque and algae.
- Soil cleaner. siphon.
- A bucket or a bowl.
The scraper must be selected by type and size, relative to the type of aquarium. The most expensive and convenient option is a magnetic scraper, which collects dirt on the outside of the wall. Water can be washed with a conventional sponge, without impregnation with cleaning agents.
A primer is required to be able to clean the substrate without removing it from the tank. If you plan a significant or complete change of water inside the vessel, you must purchase a net for the safety of the fish. The net must be chosen relative to the size of the pet, so as not to damage the delicate fins.
When washing, you can use baking soda as a cleaning agent. It is important to carefully wash off the soda.
What cleaning products can be used
It is not recommended to use cleaning chemicals to clean the reservoir, as there is a risk of leaving particles of the substance inside the vessel. The remaining product can cause significant harm to the health and lives of inhabitants. Allowed to use baking soda, however, this substance is harmful to pets. After cleaning the aquarium soda should be washed with running water several times.
If it is necessary to use strong chemical mixtures, you can use:
An important rule when using these products is to thoroughly rinse the container with water.
How to wash the aquarium without catching fish
The so-called normal cleaning of the aquarium is required to remove green deposits from the walls and with some water pollution. The procedure is carried out as needed, but not often, about once every 2-4 weeks. What should be done:
- Take out the turbine pump and wash it with a brush (you can take a small toothbrush);
- Use a scraper for aquariums to clean the walls of the plaque;
- Drain a third of the water and replace the settled water;
- Turn on the pump, aerator, light, install clean, washed equipment.
Remember that this cleaning aquarium does not require the removal of fish from the water. And a little advice: to guess that you need to clean the aquarium is simple. a weak flow of water signals that the filter is clogged, it is time to wash it!
Restarting is called partial or complete replacement of plants, thorough cleaning of the walls. The procedure should be carried out only in the presence of infections, complete water pollution or if you got the "water world" from a careless owner and you need to completely clean up all the consequences of such "care."
- Catch fish and put in a temporary shelter;
- Drain all the water, catch and rinse using baking soda or special solutions "interior" of the aquarium;
- Remove and clean soil fractions contaminated with excrement, rotten plants and other debris. This is done under a stream of water, in parts (preferably using a strainer), and with very noticeable dirt, the ground is completely changed. By the way, a good result is provided by cleaning with a siphon or a hose with a watering can at the end: open the water, run the watering can into the ground and rinse it turns out perfectly. If an infection has started in the ground, then it must be boiled in water. Usually, the soil is cleaned every 3-4 weeks;
- Washing the walls of the aquarium is the next stage of work. Glass needs to be washed completely. To do this, use a nylon sponge for washing dishes, scrapers (for removing plaque) and other improvised means. It is important not to scratch the walls of the aquarium, otherwise it is in such scratches that all the dirt will collect. Disinfection of the tank is carried out by boiling water, then the glass is cooled;
- Pour water on a third of the volume;
- Lay the soil and put back all the washed accessories (without plants);
- Let the water stand for about a week and you can plant plants that have survived in normal form, supplementing with new algae;
- Another 3-4 days and you can run the fish, topping up with water to the desired volume.
It takes time and some money to complete a full cleaning of the aquarium, but this is not all: before filling the tank with fish, it is necessary to conduct water samples.
How often is cleaning the aquarium
- Half of the fluid needs to be replaced every 7 days;
- Capacities in volume more than 200 l, need to be cleaned once in 15 days;
- If the aquarium is less than 150 liters, then care is required every 7-10 days.
Remember that cleaning the aquarium depends on filling it with fish. Numerous inhabitants quickly pollute the water, the soil. Also, the garbage remains after feeding, and here it is important to choose the optimal dose so that the feed particles that remain in the ground do not remain.
Tips from experienced aquarists. this is useful, but do not follow them blindly, because if you clean often, the natural balance is broken. The real state of affairs will show the inhabitants of your "water world", and how to clean the aquarium, you already know.
Bottom care in the aquarium
Next, we will understand how to clean the bottom of the aquarium, namely: to clean the soil from the remnants of food and excrement. After all, this is where all the waste that we need to get rid of accumulates. The first cleaning after the launch of the aquarium should be carried out no earlier than in a month, as the fish first adapt to new living conditions. Such a procedure as cleaning the soil in the aquarium, is not always carried out, but plays one of the important roles. First, it should be slightly twisted, but if particles and bubbles begin to rise, the soil is supersaturated with carbon dioxide, and therefore this procedure is appropriate. To check whether it is time to clean the soil, turn it up. We do this with a hose or a special siphon.
With the end of the hose or the siphon tube we drive along the bottom, occasionally penetrating into the ground. Through the other end of the hose will come out all unnecessary pollution to us. Be very careful, because without noticing, you can accidentally drag any living creature into the cleaning siphon. Most often, this procedure is carried out in the presence of fish, while the water may remain slightly turbid. In this case, the natural question ripens: how to clean the soil in the aquarium to get crystal clear water? To begin, we will need to temporarily relocate the fish, after which we take out all the soil and thoroughly wash it under running water, without using any means. This procedure is repeated twice. Next, take the cleaned soil and place it on the bottom of the fish house. The process is quite time consuming, but you only have to resort to such cleaning once or twice a year.
It’s always unpleasant to face such problems as green deposits or lime deposits in an aquarium. Therefore, it is better to avoid unpleasant phenomena and from time to time to engage in prevention. It is important to maintain the proper operation of aquarium equipment and is serious about caring for the aquarium and its inhabitants as a whole.
To avoid contamination and full restart of the tank, you must:
- correctly put the aquarium from the beginning. Direct sunlight should not fall on the aquarium. Therefore, do not put it directly to the window. Step back at least one and a half meters. And better illuminate the aquarium artificially with the help of special lamps;
- think in advance about facilitating the cleaning process. Cleaning the bottom of various contaminants. To do this, when starting the aquarium, pour the soil to the front wall;
- feed the fish correctly. The excess amount can change the balance of water is not for the better, and therefore harm the pet. So, fish should eat food in five minutes;
- regularly keep your aquarium clean. In time remove the rotten leaves of algae.
Eliminate all the reasons for which in the aquarium, water can bloom. Solving the problem will make your pets life more comfortable. You will take pleasure in looking at the aesthetic look, clean as a tear, clear water.