Perhaps, any owner of the aquarium will agree that cleaning the aquarium is a very important, necessary and responsible event. The main objective of cleaning the aquarium is to maintain the natural habitat for fish, and, of course, the aesthetic beauty of the aquarium itself. If you are faced with this issue for the first time. do not worry, this is nothing complicated. Simple tips will tell you how to properly clean the aquarium without making the special costs of calling biologists and special tools. You will learn how to clean your artificial body of excess pollution and give it a healthy look.
Where to start?
First of all, you should clearly realize that any cleaning of the aquarium is a stress for its inhabitants. Therefore, try not to particularly disturb and not scare the fish with sharp movements.
How to clean the walls of the aquarium
Any cleaning should be recited from cleaning aquarium glasses. From the purity of the glass depends on how we will see the aquarium itself. Small algae constantly appear on the glasses and microorganisms settle there, which makes visibility difficult and makes the aquarium untidy. You can clean the walls of the aquarium with the help of special scrapers, a nylon washcloth or an ordinary kitchen sponge.
You can cope with this task not only with the help of special tools. Some types of fish, such as ancistrus or snail, can simply simply eat light pollution. However, there is a drawback in this method: tracks of eaten algae may remain on the walls.
How to clean the bottom of the aquarium
At the second stage of cleaning the aquarium proceed to cleaning the soil. In this section, we will discuss how to clean the soil from the accumulated remnants of food and excreta, because it is at the bottom that all these impurities accumulate. Before you start work, make sure that it is really necessary. To do this, it is enough to twist the ground with something. If bubbles begin to rise from the bottom, then it is necessary to clean it.
This procedure of cleaning the aquarium will make it easier and easier for the fish to clean the soil without any pain. It consists of a flexible hose with a diameter of 15 mm and a glass or metal tip that needs to be driven along the bottom, periodically pressing it inwards. Through the tip of the hose will drain water with all the pollution. It is very important to monitor the amount of drained water, its volume should not be more than one fifth of the total volume of the aquarium. This is the amount of water you have to add later.
When cleaning the soil, try not to damage the roots of plants, this can lead to their death. We should not forget that our goal is not only cleaning the aquarium, but also the preservation of all life in it.
We clean water
Water purification will help refresh the water and remove all accumulated harmful substances for fish. In order not to expose the inhabitants of the aquarium to abrupt water changes, it is necessary to partially replace the water 1-2 times a week, and after cleaning the soil 25% of the total volume of the aquarium. Water for substitution should be settled for 2-3 days.
If the aquarium is not covered, a film may form on the surface of the water. This is also an important process in cleaning. You can remove it using a sheet of paper, the size of the surface of the aquarium. Holding the sheet by the edges, it is necessary to dip it horizontally into the water, and then, slowly, lift it along with this film. If necessary, repeat the procedure several times.
It is very important not to forget about the aquarium filter during complex cleaning of the aquarium. As a rule, the filter elements of the filter are made of foam rubber, and in order to clean them, rinse them thoroughly under running warm water. And the mechanism itself during disassembly can be cleaned with a toothbrush or sponge.
Now you know the best way to clean an aquarium without harming its inhabitants. Needless to say how proper cleaning will prolong life and improve the health of the fish? After all, what could be more beautiful than the happy inhabitants and the happy, bewitched views of their owners.
No matter where the aquarium is located in the office or at home, it will delight its owners only with perfect cleanliness. Despite the fact that there are many pets (fish, mollusks, snails), auxiliary equipment for cleaning, human intervention in the water space is inevitable. However, cleaning a household pond is not an easy task, so you should clearly know: why cleaning is required, the causes of the appearance of contamination, the process of the procedure, and other features.
First of all, cleaning the aquarium is required in order to eliminate all the algae that have become unnecessary on the walls of the aquarium and in the aquatic space. They are a raid on the glass and substrate.
Where does excess algae come from
- Aquarium overpopulation. For each pet requires a certain amount of fluid at the rate of 1.5-2 liters. If the fish has less water, then water turbidity cannot be avoided.
- Overfeeding. Fish do not always eat food intended for one-time feeding. Its subsidence on the substrate contributes to the decomposition and the appearance of algae.
- Stagnant water. In an aquarist, any owner of a household pond takes responsibility for pet care and water change. If it was made at the wrong time, then the process of turbidity of the liquid begins, capable of spreading in the new water.
- Bright lighting. With abundant light, the liquid begins to bloom. This leads to a rapid turbidity of the water, which provokes the appearance of algae.
The appearance of fish, food, dead animals and plants in the aquarium provokes the deterioration of water quality and the appearance of turbidity (algae). This factor directly affects the fish, affecting their health and comfort.
Now various filters and other equipment used for cleaning are popular, and mollusks, snails, fish that feed on the waste described above are allowed into the aquarium, but they cannot cope with pollution on their own, so cleaning with an aquascaper is necessary.
How often do you need to clean the water space
The number of aquarium cleaning depends on several factors: the capacity of the tank, the number of pets and vegetation. Based on these indicators, the owner makes cleaning 1-2 p. in Week.
Background but important indications for cleaning
- If deterioration in fish health is noticeable.
- Aquarium tests show reduced water quality.
- The appearance of the tank begins to deteriorate, and the water becomes cloudy.
If the aquarium type is still spoiled, but the cleaning has not been done, you can see the dirt with your own eyes. To do this, you should watch the fish and, when it leaves the bottom, rippling water, a small mud cloud rises from the substrate. This suggests an urgent cleaning, because the dirt can not only spoil the health of swimming inhabitants, but also lead to death!
However, if the aquarium is perfectly clean, then you need to regularly monitor the presence of concentrated nitrogen compounds, they also lead to death, and they require urgent elimination!
What is included in the cleaning of the home pond
- Disposal of glass from turbidity (plaque).
- Cleaning the scenery.
- Trimming and weeding aquarium vegetation.
- If necessary, conduct a bottom siphon.
- Fluid replacement.
- Cleaning filter apparatus.
- Pouring water into the aquarium.
Before you start cleaning you will need to disconnect from the power supply network all aquarium appliances, except for external filters.
With the appearance of algae in the aquarium, on its walls a raid forms that spoils the appearance. To eliminate this drawback, you will need to use 1 of these tools:
- Scraper with a metal blade (or blade from a clerical knife).
- Washcloth (new).
- Scraper magnetic origin.
Bast. the cheapest way to clean. Its disadvantages: you need to get everywhere with your hand and is not suitable for containers made of plexiglass. Do not use the old sponge! It can carry bacteria inside the aquarium and cause the fish to become sick.
Magnetic scraper used to clean surfaces of plexiglass, tanks, where it is impossible to clean the top or too deep aquariums. Its advantages: does not scratch the glass, does not require lowering the limbs in the water. Disadvantages: cleaning the corners and the bottom glass edge is problematic.
Algae, peeled when cleaning glasses do not need to try to catch. Further in the process, most of them will go along with the replacement of water, and the rest will serve as food for the fish.
If water decorations are covered with bloom or muddy, then they can be cleaned with a brush of increased rigidity or washcloth inside the aquarium (if the item can be removed, then it can be washed outside the tank, but in its water.) You can not use cleaning products or detergents. clean and wet accessory in a container.
Also, algae fish are fighting algae. They will not be able to 100% clean the aquarium from them, but will be able to slightly thin out the regularity of cleaning.
Vegetation is important in an aquarium, but if it grows over with algae, its overgrown shoots are too thick, the grasses cover each other’s lighting, interfere with aquarium pets, die and decompose, then they cause damage and lead to increased pollution of the water area.
When plant processing should be weeded out plants, however, weeding root species should not raise bottom murk.
If snails, mollusks, shrimps, etc., live in the water space, then it is worthwhile to reduce the number of weeds, because vegetable juice and sludge are harmful to the health of arthropods.
After the above procedures, a lot of dirt and turbidity rises to the surface of the water in order to eliminate bottom contamination, most often a siphon or hose is used.
Before the procedure you should prepare and take a white bucket (if the siphon tightens the fish or the arthropod, then it can be immediately seen and returned to the aquarium). Next, lower the device into the water and drive it near the bottom, so that it sucks in the dirt, along with the bottom fluid.
If only large fish live in the aquarium, the aquascaper 2 end of the siphon is placed directly into the sewer.
Draining Fluid from the Aquarium
When cleaning the aquarium every time there is a water change. One-time replace 15-50%, starting from the degree of pollution and the conditions created:
- The presence or number of fitofilter and plants.
- Population density.
- The whimsicalness of pets to cleanliness.
- Power filter.
Water change is required to establish a normal balance of concentrated nitrates in water. Clean and dirty aquariums are checked for this item with the help of special tests. The level of indicators should be:
- For unpretentious: 20-30 mg / l.
- For whimsical 5-10 mg / l.
When cleaning it is not necessary to change the water in 100% of the amount. This is not called a substitution, but a restart, it is carried out only after a fish epidemic. After the restart, it is required that the aquarium matured for 14 days, without pets living in it.
If there is no vegetation in the water space and large species of fish live, then replacement takes 1-2 p / w, but otherwise, regular replacement of water is practically not needed.
An important nuance when cleaning the filter is to remove only mechanical impurities. Inside the filter lives a colony of microorganisms useful for small fish participating in biofiltration. It is necessary to make cleaning of porous fillers and sponges very carefully, to leave them intact.
In order to clean up well and without loss of microorganisms, it is worth using more or less clean aquarium water, and not from a tap or siphon.
Sponge filters with filler bays, external canister prefilters, etc., are cleaned once every 7-14 days. To make sure that the equipment is contaminated, it will be necessary to pay attention to the stream flowing from it. If it is weakened, then the filter needs a procedure.
Porous filter parts: balls, rings, etc. are cleaned, about 1 time in 2-3 months. During the procedure will need to replace worn parts.
The rotor head of the equipment is washed out with ordinary water, without chemicals. To improve the quality of cleaning, it is recommended to use a cotton swab.
In the home pond it is necessary to fill only the separated water, with the same temperature as the fusion of the aquarium. Depending on the aquarium volume, it is filled with a watering can, a hose, or a bucket.
It is impossible to pour liquid directly on the substrate, so as not to violate its integrity. For this it is recommended to use a grotto or saucer.
The cleanliness of the aquarium plays an important role both in creating the interior and in the well-being of its inhabitants. In order not to upset the balance of beauty and health of small fishes, it will be necessary to take full responsibility for cleaning, to do it correctly and regularly.
- – glass aquarium scrapers;
- – magnetic scraper;
- – sponge;
- – glove (mitten) for the body;
- – hose with a tip and a pear;
- – Toothbrush;
- – brush;
- – baking soda;
- – whitening agent "whiteness".
Choose a glass cleaning method. The green coating on the walls gives an untidy look to the aquarium and prevents you from observing fish. Algae fouling is formed in 1-2 weeks depending on the location of the aquarium. Clean glass as it gets dirty. Use an aquarium scraper, a clean sponge for washing dishes, a glove or a magnetic scraper. The choice of these devices depends on the thickness of the raid. For example, small patches of green are easily removed with a sponge. It is very convenient to remove plaque in the corners of the aquarium, if you wear a special glove on your hand. With a significant overgrowing of the walls, use an aquarium scraper. If you do not want to wet your hands, use a magnetic scraper. this is the best device for removing algae.
Clean the bottom. At the bottom of the aquarium accumulate sewage, which lead to the deterioration of water. it is the waste products of fish and snails, remnants of food, rotting debris of plants. Remove them with a siphon. a rubber or plastic hose with a tip on one side and a pear on the other. Collect garbage, carefully avoiding the plants. If there is a lot of dirt, lightly press on the ground to remove old accumulations between the stones. Wait for settling turbidity and repeat the procedure.
Clean the filter. Wash it as it clogs. If you notice a change in the pumping of water, you should release the sponge from the dirt accumulated in them. Remove the fillers and wash them with plenty of water without using detergents. To restore the free flow of water, remove the mucus from the filter nozzle with a toothbrush. Hold it for 2-3 minutes under a strong stream of cold water. this will remove the remaining films.
Clean the scenery. In the aquarium, not only the walls and the bottom are contaminated, but the scenery also darkens. For the attractiveness of the underwater world, various objects are used: stones, corals, ceramics, snags, plastic plants. The job of cleaning them depends on the decoration material and the degree of contamination. Green scurf on objects made of plastic and unbaked clay should be rubbed with a stiff sponge. Blackened koryagya can return the original form, if you clean it with a paste of baking soda. To do this, get it out of the water and sprinkle with plenty of powder. After half an hour, clean the white gruel from the surface with a stiff brush and rinse the logs thoroughly. You can remove overgrown algae with a bleaching agent. Place blackened stones, corals, and ceramics in a solution (1 part of “Whiteness”: 10 parts of water) of bleaching agent for 1-2 hours. After that, wash the decorations in running water for at least an hour until the smell is completely eliminated.
Change waterWhen cleaning the ground, part of the water was drained along with the dirt. If there are live plants in the tank, inspect them and remove the yellow stems. Top up the settled water, not forgetting that the fresh portion should not exceed 15-20% of the total volume of the aquarium.
In order for your aquarium to please you and your household for a long time, you need to maintain certain natural conditions for the fish in it. This is done using filters, compressors, lighting. But without additional cleaning, the aquarium will quickly become dirty, so you need to clean the aquarium regularly and correctly.
Weekly cleaning the aquarium and adding clean water will please the fish and help you take care of their health. Cleaning the aquarium is not difficult, especially if you do it regularly, so that the algae and other particles do not have time to grow. In this article we will talk about how to clean aquariums with fresh and salt water.
Salt water aquariums
- Determination of tap water within a few hours will get rid of chlorine, but not chloramines, which are no less dangerous. Make the fish nice and soften the water. (A bright red gill can be a sign of high chlorine in water. This chemical simply "burns" the gills.)
- The larger the aquarium, the less care it needs and the more errors in care you can forgive yourself. It also slowly changes the levels of important parameters for fish.
- Try to learn how to clean the aquarium without removing the fish from it. If you really need to transplant fish, add to the water means "Stress Zime" or "Stress Coat". These tools allow you to restore the lost (but necessary) protective mucous layer on the surface of the body of the fish. This is one of the reasons why it is always necessary to have a spare or quarantine aquarium.
- Rinse the pump with boiling water after each cleaning of the aquarium. This procedure will kill bacteria and viruses, which can be got in the aquarium. In addition, you will enjoy it next time.
- Buy a gravel cleaning pump for the right size. If it is too small, you are busy with cleaning all day, but if it is too large. a lot of water will be pumped out before you finish the work.
- Do not use untreated tap water to rinse the filter, since chlorine and chloramines can harm your fish.
- If a filter with a motor is used in your tank, you will have to periodically disassemble it in order to remove the dirt accumulated on the moving parts of the motor. Do not clean biofilters.
- Do not use ordinary detergents and soaps, as they can poison the fish.
- There is no need to replant the fish from the aquarium during its cleaning.
- Algae can be added at the same time as a water conditioner to speed up the cleaning of aquarium ornaments and glass. If you have live plants in the aquarium, then you can add liquid fertilizer to the plants (be sure to be safe for the fish!).
- If you manage to purchase a long food hose, it will be easier to replace the water if you can drain the old water directly into the sink. In addition, you can purchase attachments to fill the sink aquarium.
- Do not put into the aquarium what may be residual detergent. On the hands, hoses and nets can remain particles of chemicals.
- Always wash and rinse hands before and after lowering them into the aquarium or touching aquarium accessories. You can also use an alcohol-based disinfectant.
- If you have not replaced the water for a long time, start replacing it gradually. Every week, change a small amount. Sudden replacement of a large amount of water in can adversely affect the chemical components of the aquarium environment, which will cause shock in the fish.
- Do not catch fish with a net without an urgent need, as this causes stress and also damages the protective mucous layer on the scales. If this is really necessary, add Stress Coat® or other similar agent to the water after the procedure.
- If you have a carbon filter, replace it every two weeks or so. After this period, the coal begins to excrete toxins back to the aquarium. Remove the charcoal from the filter and replace it. Do not throw away the cartridge itself!
How to wash the aquarium?
In this topic, we will try to briefly describe the process of cleaning aquarium. This is a simple matter. But it will not be superfluous to find out: how to do it correctly, find out how often you need to wash the aquarium, how to wash, the sequence of actions and so on.
You need to start a conversation with the fact that there is a big difference between washing an aquarium when it is purchased and a planned cleaning of an already established aquarium or in case of emergency. Therefore, we divide the article into these three components.