Guppy is without exaggeration one of the most widespread and famous aquarium fish. Remember any aquarium of the Soviet Union, how could he do without a small bright guppy? This fish is widespread today. Surely many aquarists began their journey with this fish, which means they asked (or are asked) questions: “How many guppies live?”, “How long does the fish live at home?” In this article we will tell you about this.
This fish is known not only to aquarium lovers, but also to scientists. It is the guppy that is the first fish that has been in space. And they are also used in checking the quality of tap water.
Little about the breed
Why actually "guppies" are called that way? Like most species, these small colorful fish received their name from the name of their discoverer Dr. Robert Guppy, who discovered them in the waters of the tropical island of Trinidad in 1866 and was the first to describe this species. Gupeshek homeland is the northern part of South America and nearby islands. Seeing this fish in natural conditions, you will surely be surprised, because savages are very different from domestic species. Pets are much brighter and often larger than wild relatives.
When Dr. Guppy first told in the old world about fish that do not spawn, but give birth to full-fledged fry, they did not believe him and even ridiculed him.
The fish of bright color, in natural conditions, is still less catchy, because forced to protect themselves from predators. The length of the male in natural conditions reaches 5 cm, and the females are larger. It feeds on worms, bloodworms, larvae and various small insects.
Guppy is so successfully struggling with the larvae of anopheles mosquitoes, that now acclimatized forms can be found in warm waters on all continents. Wild guppies survive even in our Moscow. river, in the area of warm water discharge.
Guppy life expectancy in natural environment is 2-3 years, because the small size and warm water of 22. 25 ° C (and sometimes higher) speeds up the metabolism and thereby reduces the lifespan.
Life in an aquarium
Gupashki in the aquarium can live as a long enough period, and unpleasantly short, what is the reason? Of course, you understand that the life of a fish at home depends on many factors. What affects the lifespan of guppies in an aquarium?
- Water quality These fish love warm water (22-25 ° C), but can survive over a wider range of 19.0. 29.0 ° C. PH 7.0. 8.5, hardness 12.0. 18.0, but the parameters may be different, which often does not prevent them from living and multiplying. The higher the temperature of the water, the shorter the life of the fish. But remember that the guppy is an inhabitant of the tropics and the water should not be too cold, no matter how much you want to extend the life of the pet.
- Purity of water is important, but it is impossible to change everything at once, it is best to change within 10. 25% of the volume once a week. Remember, despite the fact that the fish often live in appalling conditions for their pet you need to create decent ones.
- The presence of the aerator will improve the living conditions of the fish, and hence its duration. Although the fish successfully survived in unequipped banks. If the aquarium is closed with a lid, the presence of a filter or aerator is mandatory.
- Compatibility. This is a peaceful fish, which often does not cause anxiety to the neighbors in the aquarium, but predatory fish will perceive it only as food. On the black list: shark ball, cichl, Sumatran and fire barbs and some others. Without all sorts of problems and conflicts, guppies live together with cherry barb, neonomy, swordfish, morynesia and speckled catfish and many other peaceful small fish.
- Group content. Noticed that Guppies live one by one less than in the company of their relatives.
- Nutrition. The diet of fish living in your aquarium should not be monotonous; both dry food and live food (bloodworm, daphnia, mosquito larvae) should be used for food.
The size of the aquarium and the amount of coverage requirements guppies are not high. So for 5 fish enough and 20 liters, and the lighting may be even the most minimal, but still daylight should not last less than 10 hours. It is desirable that plants be present in the aquarium with guppies, this will make the habitat more close to natural.
Always remember that breeding species are more demanding. in the process of removing the adaptation mechanisms weaken. The most "gentle" are albinos and fish, completely painted in a dark color (blue, black, etc.). It is important to monitor the stability of the water quality, and even if it has deteriorated it is worth gradually to level it. By dramatically changing the indicators, you can destroy the fish.
Usually, in an aquarium, gumps live longer than in wild conditions. But this rule is valid only with proper care. So on average, these aquarium pets live for about 2. 3 years, although there are also long-livers of years of commercial 5. Females live 3-4 years, and males rarely live longer than 3 years.
How to determine the age of guppies
As with people, the older a fish is, the easier it is for various kinds of diseases, let’s delve into the question of the age of your pets, do you know who is a long-liver in an aquarium, and who is still very young?
In general, determining the age of guppies and other aquarium fish is often very ungrateful, but if you are careful, you will notice the difference. So young individuals of both sexes have a simpler body shape. they look like a line or a stick, if you want. Mature individuals have more prominent tummies, a small backbend, which increases as the fish ages. In addition to appearance, be sure to pay attention to the behavior of fish. Young individuals up to 3-4 months have a fervent temper, they are most active in the aquarium and, although they have already acquired color, their tail is still in the growth stage. The guppy is more mature, calmer and more sedate, in my opinion, 5-10 months is the most flourishing of the gupeshki, especially when it comes to the male. Individuals older than 10 months are the most calm and even move more slowly, their color becomes more and more faded, and the edge of the tail is frayed.
Keep in mind that this division by age is rather arbitrary, and your opinion may turn out to be subjective, but as information for reflection and some help this information may be useful.
As a result
It is not necessary in the pursuit of life records at home to check the aquarium hourly, or to care for them carelessly, in the hope of a rare "vitality". Try to maintain optimal conditions for a floating friend’s life, and each gupeshka will live a happy fish life in your aquarium, and you can fully enjoy the beauty of this species and their interesting behavior. It is not so important how many guppies live in an aquarium, more importantly how it lives!