A goldfish in an aquarium is the best domesticated underwater pet that will always delight the eye and lift the mood not only for children, but also for adults. Individuals of this species are relatively small, compared with the rest of their family (carp, koyami), descend from carp (Carassius auratus), brought from East Asia. Over the entire thousand-year history of the existence of goldfish in China, many species of them have been bred. Individuals vary in color (often combinations of black, yellow, brown, orange, white, and red), the shape of fins and body, and size.
How much does a goldfish live in an aquarium?
In addition to the relevant conditions, the aquarium population index significantly affects the life span of the fish. If you keep too many underwater creatures in a small area, the time of their vital activity decreases significantly. In addition to all this, we should not forget about the compatibility of the breeds, as some types of gentle creatures simply do not get along with others in the general aquarium.
The lifespan of goldfish is determined directly by the water temperature. These organisms are cold-blooded, and therefore their body temperature will depend only on the environment in which they inhabit. The warmer the liquid in the reservoir, the sooner your pets have metabolic processes in the body.
Depending on the species of aquarium creatures, their life expectancy varies, but even experts disagree about reliable numbers. Very much is caused by the heredity of individuals, their living environment and transportation to the point of realization.
Life periods of goldfish:
- short-lived individuals of this species live to 15 years;
- long-bodied are more durable and exist around 30-35 years.
How much a goldfish lives in an aquarium, now everyone knows. The main thing is to adhere to certain norms of its content.
How to keep a golden beauty in an aquarium
Just like most carp, goldfish produce considerable amounts of leftover scales, waste and feces. Clogging soon increases the poisoning of a small tank, which could result in the death of pets. To avoid rapid contamination, it is required to keep individuals in the overall aquariums. 75 liters of water are necessary for one underwater creature, mainly 38-40 liters are usually diverted to decorative species.
Keeping goldfish in an aquarium will require tank aeration. To do this, put a water pump, fountain or filter that will expand the space of the water level (not less than 0.093 m 2).
What should be the temperature of the water?
Goldfish belong to cold-blooded organisms, and they can live at a temperature that is comfortable for humans. However, strong changes in temperature (for example, in an office room on a winter night), especially in miniature vessels, can kill them. With care also need to fill in new water, the temperature of which should be the same as in the aquarium. This moment should be followed with special attention.
The temperature in an aquarium for goldfish, especially small ornamental ones, less than 10 ° C is risky for their health. But comets and ordinary gold fish can stay in a harsh environment. Too high temperature (above 30 ° C) is dangerous for pets. The most suitable temperature for all types of fish is 20. 22 ° C.
How to treat fish?
When caring for such pets should not take them in hand, as a touch of mucus cover, protecting the underwater inhabitants from infections and parasites. But nevertheless, such creatures can be taught to eat from the hands, and even by the hour.
Since these fish in the aquarium prefer to eat plant food, its equipment with live plants is problematic. Only individual members of the Anubias and Cryptocoryne genera can bear the pressure. Artificial algae are often used to decorate containers, although their sharp plastic edges can injure the eyes and skin of fish.
What determines the color of individuals?
In the dark, underwater animals become dull gray. In the light they produce a pigment, similar to the one that appears when a person’s skin tans under the sun. These creatures have cells, designated as chromatophores, which produce light-reflecting pigments. The color of pets is determined by the number of this substance in chromatophores, as well as its placement in cells. The greater its quantity and concentration in the cage, the more saturated the color of the fish.
Compatibility of underwater inhabitants
A goldfish in an aquarium, at first glance, may seem like a very sociable and hospitable creature, to which many more of the same breeds or other species of individuals can be hooked. However, this is not the case. Although the combined content is acceptable cohabitation of various species.
What types of fish can be settled together?
It is mandatory to take into account the temper of any "settler" in the goldfish aquarium. And in order to create the most comfortable atmosphere for all the inhabitants of the reservoir, it is necessary to start the creatures young and at the same time. The gradual sharing of new pets to the residents is leading to dire consequences.
There are some breeds of goldfish, which can be divided into two categories: long-bodied and short-bodied.
Individuals are characterized by good lightness and activity, for the most part they float by the doorposts and are able to grow in size up to 30 cm without taking into account the tail. They feel especially comfortable in aquariums with a volume of at least 200 liters.
Such fish in an aquarium are considered less energetic and calmer. That is why they should be kept apart from long-bodied. Separately, it is better to populate such species of goldfish as astrologers, telescopes and water eyes. they have very sensitive eyes that other residents can injure.
If a goldfish in an aquarium can get along with similar ones, then it is unlikely to get along with other breeds of underwater creatures. It will just be everyone who only manages to swallow. Similarly, other fish can significantly damage the gold, gnawing their fins, tails and even sides. In addition, in a pond with underwater pets there is a rather peculiar ecological environment, and if we also include temperature conditions and feeding regime, then, in addition to quiet catfish, no one will be allowed to share them.
Goldfish care in the aquarium
There are some rules of the content of these nice little creatures that will help beginners to avoid various difficulties.
- For fish, an overall capacity is necessary (it is undesirable to use an aquarium of a usual round shape) so that their content passes without harm to the pets themselves. On a gallon of water you can get 2-3 fish, but no more. From this it follows that 2 pets in 10 liters of water, as a rule, feel great, but if their number is increased, then the level of water clogging in the tank increases, and the complexity of work for the aquarist increases.
- You should purchase a filter with an air pumping resource. Goldfish need water that is saturated with oxygen. Unlike labyrinths, it breathes it in a pond.
- You need to buy a suitable "stuffing" for the aquarium. Gravel for the bottom will be an ideal solution, because it contains useful microorganisms that consume ammonia and reduce its level in the water. But it is necessary to choose this element in view of its fraction, preferring the middle one so that the fish do not eat it.
- It is not recommended to immediately launch underwater creatures into the reservoir, as the biobalance should be established there. After the aquarium has been settled, several catfish or snails can be put in there, which slightly “litter” it, the ammonia will be recycled by microbes, and the water will become suitable for fish (this may take from 2 days to a week).
- Giving pet food you need good. There is a special granular food or bait in the form of flakes specifically for aquarium fish. You can also put chopped lettuce and pieces of boiled egg on the surface of the water in the tank. a goldfish in an aquarium will be happy to eat them.
- Such tender creatures cannot be fed by any means, and food should be given in small portions and no more than 1-2 times a day. All feed must be absorbed in 5 minutes. It is also not recommended to throw more food into the pond than the fish can eat during this time. After all, it is known that they love to overeat.
- From time to time it is necessary to carry out some tests (tests for the degree of ammonium, pH, nitrates and nitrites). These substances are very dangerous for residents of the aquarium. If they are higher than 0, this is already bad. A measure of nitrates is considered to be up to 40.
- It will be imperative to put a thermometer in the vessel, because a goldfish in a small aquarium or a huge reservoir in cold water will not live long. The temperature in such a tank should be somewhere around 21 ° C.
- Do not forget to change the water. For an aquarium of 5-10 liters, it is necessary to replace water in 25-30% of its volume once or twice a week. The old liquid is going down, and the new one is poured into the vessel itself. Aquarists do not advise to completely change the water, as this can destroy the biobalance, and the fish with plants may feel unwell.
It would be useful to study various diseases of underwater pets. Knowledge of their signs will contribute to the rapid definition of the disease and will provide an opportunity to save the creature.
The reproduction of goldfish in an aquarium is characterized primarily by the difference between males and females during spawning (the female has a round abdomen, and in males there is a bright rash on pectoral fins and gills). Sex formation in such individuals begins a year after birth. However, the final maturation, fluffiness of the fins and the greatest saturation of the color come only in 2-4 years.
What are the conditions for spawning?
For breeding you will need a spawning, where any goldfish will be able to lay eggs. In a round aquarium or a square one, it does not matter, the main thing is that their volumes should be from 20 to 50 liters, and the water level should be no more than 20 cm. Water should be purified and quartzized for several hours or kept under direct sunlight. The tank should have a strong aeration and good lighting.
At a distance of 2 cm from the bottom set a large plastic mesh, and in any of the corners place a bundle of yarn or nylon wool. After the fish are released into spawn, the temperature is gradually increased by 2-4 C.
In order for the roe to be completely fertilized and spawning ensured, 2-3 males are taken for 1 female. You can also organize group spawning for school of fish.
The label itself lasts from 2 to 5 hours. During this period, the female manages to sweep 2-3 thousand eggs. Then they stick to the washcloth and fall to the bottom under the net, where adults are not able to eat them. Parents after breeding immediately removed.
At a temperature of 25 ° C, the incubation period lasts 4 days. During this period, it is required to remove whitened and dead eggs, since they are overgrown with fungus saprolengia, which can be transferred to live caviar.