How do fish sleep in an aquarium? Such a question, as a rule, occurs in novice aquarists. All representatives of flora and fauna need a rest. After all, not only we sleep. And the fish need a certain rest.
Peculiarities of fish sleep
The fish has a peculiar physiology. Therefore, they have a different dream.
Among all the features distinguish:
- Fish in the aquarium at night are not completely disconnected. The main reason is habitat.
- In a container or in natural conditions, unconsciousness is excluded. Even during the rest period, they partially perceive temperature changes.
- Sleeping fish takes everything in a relaxed state.
Do fish sleep at night like us? Conclusion. no.
Different aquarium fish sleep differently. Some phenotypes differ daily activity, the second. nocturnal. Small fish in the daytime chooses a secluded place in which she sits out. At night, these phenotypes are sent in search of food.
How to identify a sleeping fish?
In order to understand whether the fish are sleeping, experienced aquarists evaluate the behavior. A long stay in a static state or placement in shady areas suggests that the phenotype has passed into such a stage as metabolism. Some species sink to the bottom or roll over to the side.
How are fish classified?
Having studied how aquarium phenotypes sleep, experienced aquarists have divided them into two classes:
- Twilight phenotypes. They move at night, searching for food. In the daytime, they rest. In twilight types, the eyes are distinguished by a special structure, which is why they see perfectly well in the dark. This category includes predators.
- Light-loving phenotypes. In such labyrinth species, the structure of the eyeball has certain differences. Therefore, they see only during the day. At night, they go to sleep.
Among aquarists there is an opinion that one should not keep light-loving and twilight individuals in one aquarium. Due to this:
- Predators at night attack decorative and peace-loving pets.
- Twilight individuals develop worse if there is an excess of lighting.
In anticipation of cold weather, certain phenotypes fall into a kind of hibernation, which is different from standard sleep. As in the period when the fish goes to sleep, its main functions slow down. For this period, phenotypes are moved to the substrate, shady plants.
Certain species hibernate in summer. Such actions are performed by them in order to prevent the likelihood of dehydration. Indeed, in summer the temperature rises significantly.
Sleep "wild" phenotypes
Underwater inhabitants endure the sleep phase in a certain position:
- Cod sleeps near the substrate. She flips to the side.
- Herring is turned upside down. Sometimes the herring falls downside down.
- Flounder for the period of hibernation buried in the substrate.
- Parrot fish turns into a kind of mucus.
The period of sleep is poorly tolerated by cartilaginous phenotypes. Sharks have no swim bladder. Therefore, they do not hang in water layers. As soon as sharks freeze, their body sinks to the bottom. Since sharks have no gills, and they do not always close the corresponding gaps, the fish quickly suffocates at the bottom.
Some subspecies of sharks move to places where the bottom current is observed. In a state of metabolism, they keep their eyes closed, and their mouths are constantly open in order to eliminate the accumulation of water. Another subspecies does not close its eyes during the rest period.
Should I take into account the characteristics of the dream of fish?
Some aquarists are studying this issue in order to get more information. Indeed, it depends on how extensive the knowledge base is, whether experienced aquarists will be able to create appropriate conditions for the phenotypes of fish and shellfish.
In order that the phenotypes develop well, multiply, aquarists take into account certain rules:
- Selection of the tank is carried out with great care. Before purchasing, determine the appropriate volume, shape and configuration.
- Identify suitable decorative items and accessories. Some phenotypes require snags, tunnels, bridges and other details. For other individuals, more space is needed so that they can move freely.
- Shady plants and algae are planted in the tank. Such bushes are used by small fish as a shelter.
- Periodically aquarists clean the substrate from organic residues, excreta. After all, they adversely affect the state of labyrinth and other species. To do this, use compressors and filters.
- In the selection of phenotypes should be considered features. It is advisable to choose fish that are resting and awake at one time. If you do not follow this rule, then over time you will encounter diseases, deterioration.
- When selecting lighting equipment takes into account the volume of the container. For picking use fluorescent lamps of the required power level.
- At night, the lighting equipment is turned off in order to ensure optimal conditions of detention.
The fish have a lot of anatomical features. They rest, but their sleep is different from ours. During sleep, the physical activity of the subspecies decreases. The process of metabolism also slows down. All these features are remembered by both experienced and novice aquarists who care about the phenotypes of fish and mollusks.