Food for aquarium fish. the most important of the conditions of your pets. The quality, nutritional value and diversity of food, how much you feed at a time, depends on the health of the fish, their resistance to diseases, appearance, proper development of fry. Many demanding species require special food designed specifically for them.
Of course, the fish can live with the same food, but their health will then be at risk.
In order to properly formulate the diet of their pets, it is necessary to understand the composition, the usefulness of food for fish, to imagine how much food they need in one step.
Food for aquarium fish can be divided into two main categories: food for long-term storage (artificial. dry or jelly) and a limited shelf life (live).
They are the most versatile and diverse, you can choose a convenient format for adult fish and juveniles, predators and herbivores. Perhaps easy storage. It is permissible to hold at once a large supply of dry feed. Modern technologies make it possible to make such food as nutritious as possible, enriched with vitamins, and at the same time not polluting water.
Dry feed for aquarium fish are produced in different forms, they feed on fish with different habitats (bottom, living in the middle layer or near the surface).
Dry feeds are divided into the main ones, which constitute a large part of the fish ration, and auxiliary feeds. allowing to properly enrich the diet with various kinds of vitamins and fiber or enhance the nutrition of fish that get less food due to habitat features (for example, benthic ones).
- Cereals are the most universal form of food that feeds all categories of aquarium fish, an excellent feed for every day. Flakes partly float on the surface, partly. sink to the bottom, becoming accessible to the inhabitants of the home water body in all layers of water. Today a huge variety of such food is available. Tetra feeds with various vitamin and mineral supplements, as well as Sera Vipan feed, are very popular and diverse.
- Granules. different diameter of the granules is designed for different sizes of fish, from large, to fry. Food of this form slowly sinks to the bottom and is also suitable for all categories of fish, including bottom fish. Particularly tender fish that are prone to diseases of the digestive system or have suffered a disease may have to soak such food. dry and dense, with a hasty swallowing, it can damage a weakened stomach. Such feed (for example, Sera Vipagran) is very nutritious. They can feed pets every day.
- Chips. the low-temperature mode of processing of such feeds makes them the most nutritious of all, allowing you to keep a maximum of nutrients and vitamins. Chips are suitable for all types of ornamental fish and do not pollute the water. Examples: TetraMin Pro Crisps from Tetra, several varieties of Sera feed. Food in this form is also suitable for use every day.
Feed in this category is usually not the main ones. it is a treat or feeding for fish, or enriching the diet with additional nutrients. How much and how often to use such feed depends on your goals.
Special purpose feed
Suitable for a particular type of fish, special purposes (color enhancement, proper fry growth, spawning period, etc.) or non-standard housing conditions (for example, during the absence of hosts for several days).
Natural feeds. live and frozen
Aquarium pets can live on artificial food. But no matter how good the dry feeds are, the living, natural components of the diet are simply necessary for the fish, especially the predatory ones. By its nutritional value, live food is better than artificial, it has no analogues. Such nutrition is most appropriate for fish. It is an ideal food for predators recovering or spawning fish.
However, for all its merits, live food has a couple of serious drawbacks. Firstly, it is inconvenient and short-term storage, and, therefore, food must be purchased often and in small portions. The possibility of acquisition is not always. Therefore, if you are counting how much live food to buy for you, proceed from the number of fish and their appetite.
But most importantly, live or frozen food is always a risk to introduce into the aquarium any infection. Such food should be bought only from trusted vendors, and before giving the fish, thoroughly rinse.
- Bloodworm. the most popular and useful live food, suitable for all types of ornamental fish and all kinds of love. Suitable for bottom fish. A live bloodworm looks like a stirring mass of bright red color. It is mined in country reservoirs and canals with a small current. It is important that the water where the bloodworm is mined is not contaminated with toxic chemicals. this will necessarily affect the fish. Therefore, buying food is only from a trusted seller. For several days, the bloodworm can be stored in a cool place by placing it in a container with a damp cloth and periodically rinsing with cool water. Longer storage periods require freezing.
- Tubber. looks like clumps of brownish color, consisting of long thin worms. A pipe maker can live quite a long time. a few weeks. This is a fatty food, it is important not to overfeed her fish. Good for bottom fish. The tubule is mined in sewers, so it can have an unpleasant odor. In addition, this type of food tends to accumulate harmful substances. it is important to know where it is obtained. The straw tube is stored in a flat closed container, at a temperature not higher than 10 degrees, adding water to the bottom of the tank and rinsing twice a day. It can be dried and frozen, but usually this is not required.
- Crustaceans. daphnia, cyclops, artemia ("live dust"). Wonderful food, small and nutritious, indispensable for feeding fry, suitable for feeding every day, enhancing the brightness of the color of ornamental fish, but not suitable for all bottom fish. Live crustaceans are harvested in the warm season, sold in water. They should be stored in containers with water. while the concentration of live food in the tank should not be very large. If the crustaceans are cramped, they will suffocate. Before feeding the fish, the crustaceans are washed in a tight net. Unfortunately, alive these creatures can be obtained only in summer, and storage is possible only in a dry form. In the cold period there is no sale of live daphnia.
Applying live food, do not forget a few important rules:
- If you keep food frozen, it is better to defrost the needed portion before feeding, otherwise the fish may injure your stomach.
- If the bloodworm or tubule is too large for your fish (small, fry or fry), they need to be cut with a razor, but you must bleed it before you enter the aquarium, otherwise you will provoke a bacteriological explosion in the water.
Of course, it would be useful to feed the fish, especially fry, with live food every day, but not all aquarists can afford to do this often. And pets spoiled with natural food are then hard trained to artificial food.
Proper diet for aquarium fish
What kind of food to choose for their pets. your business. But, like any living creature, the diet of fish should be diverse and meet their needs, depending on the variety. It is important not to overfeed the fish, the basic rule of an aquarist: “hungry fish are healthy fish,” but of course, you shouldn’t take an extreme step. Properly feeding aquarium fish is usually sufficient to produce two to three times a day (except for especially large and demanding fish), in small portions.
How much food to give at a time depends on the fish. The most acceptable is the volume that they destroy in 7-9 minutes.
The right food your pets eat is their beauty, health, and resistance to disease.