The right choice of aquarium fish
For most people, the greatest interest in the aquarium is fish, so most often the right choice of fish is the factor that determines the success of the aquarium as a whole. However, unfortunately, too often it turns out this way: a novice aquarist makes a decision to purchase an aquarium and does it right away, without thinking especially about what kind of fish he is going to run there.
There are also those fish that consider almost half of the aquarium as their private property and pounce on any other fish swimming past. If an aquarist is prudent enough, he understands that these problems are completely surmountable: after all, everywhere and everywhere people keep houses for aquariums, where fish coexist quite peacefully. No one would keep the fish if it were not a pleasant experience. However, sadly, for many people, the first failures in breeding fish are so discouraged that they generally give up this activity.
At the same time keep in mind that the appearance of the fish. this is not all. One important lesson should be learned from the beginning. The fact is that there are other factors that are important when choosing the type of fish for your aquarium, no matter what you plan: the initial settlement of the aquarium or subsequent additions.
It is important to remember that fish species, like mammals and birds, are numerous and distinguished by great diversity. There are few people who would keep a lion together with a gerbil or an eagle together with a budgie at their home.
The aquarist’s task is to learn as much as possible about the types of fish he is going to buy and make an informed and informed decision whether these fish are suitable for his aquarium and whether they can become good neighbors for fish already existing or planned for acquisition in the future.
Here are some reasons why a particular species of fish may not be suitable for a particular aquarium.
- The fish is too big for this aquarium (either at the moment or when it grows up)
- The fish is too large (either at the moment or when it grows up) compared to the rest of the fish that inhabit the aquarium.
- Fish, even adults, are too small to live with the rest of the fish in the aquarium.
- The fish is territorial and it needs more personal space than the size of the aquarium allows
- The fish is too brisk and cannot get along with calm or too nervous fish, and vice versa.
- Fish eats aquatic plants.
- Fish buried in the ground.
- The fish is predatory, that is, it eats other, smaller fish. However, this does not mean that predatory and omnivorous fish cannot be kept together with other fish. these others simply should not be too small.
- The fish is so small that it can be eaten by other fish already present in the aquarium.
- Fish require fundamentally different environmental factors. the chemical composition of water, its movement and temperature, shelter. compared to other fish already present in the aquarium.
- Fish bites off other people’s fins. This is usually not a problem if you do not keep other fish with long, seductive fins in the same aquarium.
A common mistake is to assume that individuals of the same species will necessarily get along well together. In many cases, especially when it comes to males, they see each other as rivals and can fight each other. The same applies to representatives of related species with similar shape and color.
In contrast, representatives of species of fish living in flocks in natural conditions, necessarily need a society of their own kind. When fish gather in shoals, this is for them a way to protect against predators. If a fish belongs to such a species and in captivity it is deprived of such a security measure, it will be nervous and under stress.
The term "unpretentious fish" usually refers to species of fish that can survive in any environmental conditions. Such fish can be hardy from birth if in the wild they had to adapt to changing water characteristics or to bad quality water. Maybe they just acclimatized to life in an aquarium, somehow survive in these conditions. and nothing more. Even the most acclimatized fish feel much better and show a brighter color if kept in conditions as close as possible to the natural ones.
A very common mistake is to assume that all undemanding fish are compatible with each other. Endurance means only that such fish are likely to survive, whatever conditions you create for them, but this does not mean that they will not grow in size, devour each other, eat plants, fight, etc.
An aquarium can hold only a limited number of fish. It is usually calculated by determining the total length of all fish in relation to the surface area of the water in the aquarium, although for some fish species other criteria are used.
Overcrowding in an aquarium can cause stress in fish and lead to numerous health problems.
Never buy fish from an aquarium in which there are sick or dead fish. the rest can die in a few days. Be especially picky if you buy material for breeding: you only need the best specimens, since bad parents produce bad offspring that you are unlikely to sell.
The seller will pack your fish in plastic bags, then, most likely, in a paper bag or bag so that the fish will not be afraid of what is happening around.
Individuals larger than 7.5 cm and adult specimens of territorial species (for example, cichlids) should be packed alone, so that they do not damage each other. For very large fish, it is worth taking a bucket with a lid.
If you have to transport fish, in order to avoid leakage, ask them to pack them in a double bag and fill the air space above the water with oxygen. For long shipments in hot or cold weather, grab a thermo-insulating container. a thermos, a box lined with foam plastic, or a special box for transporting fish.
- Free departure of the aquarist across Moscow and the Moscow region!
- 19 years of excellent job!
- 100% Guarantee for fish and plants!
- Performance of work at any time convenient for you!
- Flexible discount system!
- Professional cleaning and maintenance of aquariums!
- Aquariums with installation in Moscow and MO!
- More than 300 satisfied customers in Moscow and Moscow region!
- Subscription service aquariums and one-time trips to Moscow, Lyublino, Mozhaisk.