Caring for fish in an aquarium can be pleasant and uncomplicated if you provide the right physiological approach to feeding them, providing the necessary nutrients for healthy life.
What are the main feeding approaches?
This is the way of any biological organism, including fish, that it needs food. Its purpose is:
- replenishment of the spent energy
- cell and tissue renewal
- growth and development
- the preservation of such natural instincts as reproduction.
The components of the diet in an aquarium are designed to provide the body with proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, and trace elements. With a shortage of at least one of them comes:
- hypotrophy and dystrophy;
- increased susceptibility to disease;
- depressed mood;
- decrease in vital activity.
That is why the question “how many times to feed the fish?” Is of particular relevance so that you do not have to clean the aquarium out of plan or remove the diseased individuals.
Is the principle true: the more the better?
This is how the nervous system of many fish works, that the type of food constantly stimulates their appetite and the desire to eat everything, without a trace. In other words, fish are eaten as many times as they get food in the aquarium. However, is it good? This is bad from several positions:
- The uneaten products settle to the bottom and cannot be picked up by individuals from the upper and middle layers of water. Their lack of demand leads to decomposition and decay, which negatively affects the quality of water. It must be cleaned and replaced with water frequently.
- Overeating leads to increased digestive processes in the body and the overflow of the chemical composition of water with a large number of substances of organic nature. To clean it then simply by physical means is impossible, a complete change is necessary.
- The settled food remains contaminate the soil and interfere with the free root respiration of plants.
Therefore, it is necessary to feed strictly as much as it is eaten by the inhabitants of the aquarium for no longer than 15 minutes.
How to build a rational feeding?
Feed aquarium fish need to be differentiated. If only adults are among them, one time is enough, preferably in the morning. After feeding, the remains should be collected with a special net from the surface and removed outside. It is important that such feedings be regular, complete and consist of all physiologically necessary components. You can make a schedule (a kind of menu) for which days the food is vegetable food, when. animal, and when. with a balanced content of vitamins and microelements. It is reasonable to include mixed feeds containing several components at once in the “feeding policy”.
Fry and adult fish during spawning should be fed twice a day. In this case, during the day, the individuals will receive a mixed diet and fill their increased physiological needs.
If they are fed properly, they are cheerful, alert, healthy, lead an active lifestyle and grow well. This is immediately noticeable, especially in a well-groomed, neat and tastefully decorated aquarium.
What time of day is better to organize feeding?
Morning hours are best for feeding. If there is a need to re-give food, it is better to carry it out at regular intervals, giving the opportunity to digest and assimilate.
Definitely, you should not give food before bedtime, because the organs and systems of water individuals also need rest and sleep. The exception is the team of nocturnal fish.
Organizing the diet, you should pay attention to the plant world of the aquarium. Fish "vegetarians" love to eat the young shoots of plants, leaves, and even on the surface of the roots. In this case, you need time to free the aquarium from scraps of plants or gnawed twigs. They are unlikely to get acclimatized back, and the task of clogging up water will cope in full.
In this case, in the preparation of the diet should take into account the presence of internal feed.
With proper catering, consider the following:
- decomposition of food occurs faster in warm, standing water;
- food must be minced in accordance with fish anatomy;
- live food spoils quickly and it is important not to carry germs with it;
- dry food is more convenient for storage, but it does not contain a full set of nutrients;
- To ensure the quality of the process of water self-purification, it is necessary to monitor the hardness, acidity and microclimate parameters.
To feed the fish is a simple matter. It is much more difficult to rationally organize the regime and nutritional value. And then a positive result will not take long to wait: water pets will be pleased with health, bright colors and active behavior.